PDA

View Full Version : Suspension

Rory535i
05-05-2004, 04:31 AM
I was shopping around for some new shocks and springs on the net and I found a set that suited my budget for the moment but they were only listed for 535's made from 1990 onwards. Mine is a late 1988 model and I was wondering if there was any difference between the two? Thanks for any help.

Robin-535im
05-05-2004, 06:57 PM
I was shopping around for some new shocks and springs on the net and I found a set that suited my budget for the moment but they were only listed for 535's made from 1990 onwards. Mine is a late 1988 model and I was wondering if there was any difference between the two? Thanks for any help.
I don't see any year-to-year differences on anything, as long as it's an E34.

If I read it right, ETK shows the same part for the shocks on all E34's, 540, 530, 535, 525, but the springs are different among the different engines.

To be sure, you can call BMA and ask if the part numbers are the same for all years or if there is a different one for earlier year, but I'm pretty sure you'll be okay.

- Robin

mholbrook
05-06-2004, 09:41 AM
The difference is in the strut rod diameter which passes through the strut bearing (the part with three studs that goes through your shock tower). There is a nut on the top of that strut rod either 19 or 22mm IIRC. If you change to new strut bearings that match the diameter of the strut rod you are fine and can use these strut inserts. Otherwise it won't work. Since E34 strut bearings (front) are very strudy, they rarely go bad. The front strut bearings are about $100 each new.

The rear strut bearings are much cheaper and thus should be changed when you change the rear shocks.

I hope this clears things up for you.