PDA

View Full Version : Sorta OT, Quick 750iL Question

vince
04-14-2007, 03:42 PM
I looked at a 750iLtoday, the engine runs smoothly and the trans shifts nicely. The car has 180,000 miles on it. The seller has no records of previous maintenance, but the car does appear to have been pretty well maintained mechanically.

Big question is whether the trans, at this mileaqe, is still original, or very likely has been replaced/rebuilt,etc.

Comments?

Thanks,

vince
3 e34s

Ross
04-14-2007, 04:02 PM
The trans isn't your worry, the engine is, so is the hydraulics for leveling and brakes.
Spend a little and have it looked over by someone who knows these cars. A bad one will bankrupt you. I know.

vince
04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the info. The car is a '90, built in '89. I saw nothing more than seepages from the engine and trans, and nothing from the front or rear suspension. Engine wiring and underhood all looked good and as it should. Front end has been rebuilt; I know, because I did my 525i myself last fall. Pittman arms in rear are original and old. The brakes worked fine, though when someone replaced the pads and rotors, the didn't replace the sensors. Body is all original sheetmetal except for the rf fender. It has the usual rust in 3 of 4 doors, and that's really my biggest gripe, followed by the horrid blacked out sidemarkers and taillights. Interior is very nice, though driver's seat is twisted and it could use a more exact cleaning. Of course, if there were a way to replace the automatic with a 5 speed. . . .and take more advantage of that engine....

Thanks again, we'll see how it goes,

vince

markus
04-14-2007, 11:34 PM
wanna buy my 540i instead? :)

CharlesAFerg
04-15-2007, 02:52 AM
wanna buy my 540i instead? :)

pics, and where are you located? Seriously.

Anyways, theres a 92 v12iL here that smokes a bit on startup, what causes that? Everything else seems to work great, and it's just hit 100k - seems liek a great car to get stuff replaced before it breaks on. Except it's gold... Ew.
Other than that though, it's the only good local 750iL - I test drove it, and it was smooth as hell - but that smoke worried me.
Also, it had dash lights out, and the fuel gauge was kaputt.
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/car/308903176.html

shogun
04-15-2007, 03:04 AM
http://bmwe32.masscom.net/sean750/vcv_replacement/VCVvalves.htm

markus
04-15-2007, 08:09 AM
i am located in northeastern, pennsylvania if anyone is interested in buying my E34