PDA

View Full Version : Another Cold Air Intake Caution

Jehu
04-13-2007, 06:44 PM
So you rock a cold air intake ,do ya? Today while at a shop getting an oil change i spyed what looked like an M60 on the floor. I asked if it was an M60 and he said it was an M62, I ask whats it doing on the floor and he says it has a hole in the block... I ask how that happened and he said , "Cold air intake... the guy went into a puddle and sucked the water in the air intake and something done blowed up..
They did a kind of lookover the whole vehicle and i need PS hoses/res, tie rods(all) and they recco'ed headlights. then all fluid flush and install new plugs and filters... they said other than the heater core having that small leak its just normal wear and age items and everything else was in good shape. they greased my doors and shook my hand. Free Mobile 1 10-30 and filter... new customer lure..

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-13-2007, 07:04 PM
try decaff before posting

Jehu
04-13-2007, 07:06 PM
try decaff before posting

I have no idea how that happened but whats more perturbing is the delete feature seems to have gone off on vacation somewhere...

gmannino
04-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Hydrolock, same thing happen to my old GSR integra. Never will run a cold air intake without a bypass again.

Sam-Son
04-13-2007, 07:51 PM
What about a short ram intake? Also there are very few intake items for the E34. I've been thinking about a CAI for a while but the fear of Hydrolock has kept me away

Boone.Msi
04-13-2007, 08:06 PM
^ive brought that idea up before, lasted a whole 60 seconds on this board before it got shitted on.

Unless you want to fabricate your own, there will never be anything aftermarket for the m60, hydrolock safe...

Denton
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
Screw CAIs, the mechanic is exactly right.

Not to mention the stock intake is hardly restrictive.

ryan roopnarine
04-13-2007, 08:12 PM
the first post of a thread (the thread starter) can only be deleted by an administrator.

Jehu
04-13-2007, 08:18 PM
the first post of a thread (the thread starter) can only be deleted by an administrator.

That's totalitarian... we demand deletion!

Sam-Son
04-13-2007, 08:19 PM
^ive brought that idea up before, lasted a whole 60 seconds on this board before it got shitted on.

Unless you want to fabricate your own, there will never be anything aftermarket for the m60, hydrolock safe...

I have an M50 by the way and I'm just looking for an easy way to get some more HP. I know the best way is a performance chip but with premium gas at $3.20 a gallon and rising I'd rather not

Jehu
04-13-2007, 08:23 PM
I have an M50 by the way and I'm just looking for an easy way to get some more HP. I know the best way is a performance chip but with premium gas at $3.20 a gallon and rising I'd rather not

You wouldn't want to hear what the shop owner i met today had to say about chips either.. he said there can be a 3-4 hp gain at certain times but the idea you get these 10+ across the board hp gains is a myth.He said in older cars yes but in my '95 for instance he said the timing is already advanced and something about knock sensors and then we hit some bumps as we were taking my car for a test drive and so basically he disabused me of the idea i would notice any serious performance gains by changing the chip.

BillionPa
04-13-2007, 10:17 PM
also recall what i said in another post about CAIs that in summer with hot sun on black roads the air closer to the ground is actually HOTTER!

genphreak
04-13-2007, 11:28 PM
All E34 have CAI stock. Plus more than enough water management and filter area for the job. All they need to satisy the idiots is an optional intake noise generator to undo the sound dampening of the very carefully engineered design and make them feel (or more accurately hear) more power under their hoofs...

bigtisas
04-13-2007, 11:48 PM
I still don't understand what's wrong with CAI. What's hydro-lock? H2O gets into the engine, then..?

Jehu
04-13-2007, 11:53 PM
I still don't understand what's wrong with CAI. What's hydro-lock? H2O gets into the engine, then..?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrolock

and to be perfectly clear the guy was referring to your open cone type CAI, I just couldn't imagine the shock that poor guy felt when he realized what he'd done believeing he needed some elusive horsepower gains. Something tells me he wasn't on a track when he drove thru that puddle.

Boone.Msi
04-13-2007, 11:58 PM
^^i think he was joking?

I put premium in mine, its roughly $2.00 more and gives me better mpg, and the engine run significantly smoother. I don't know why people that buy superchargers/turbos/mods complain about a -$3.00 increase in better gas every fillup...

632 Regal
04-14-2007, 01:01 AM
I could do that but I dont even clearly follow this crap

indierthanthou
04-14-2007, 12:02 PM
water doesn't compress like air. so when it gets inside the cylinder and the piston rises on the compression stroke, instead of compressing, the water makes it like it hit solid and BOOM! parts break like crazy. usually connecting rods, crankshaft, and it can bust a hole in the side of the block

Boone.Msi
04-14-2007, 04:40 PM
so say you hit a deep puddle, throw it in neutral and kill the ignition? or would it be too late by then...?

Jehu
04-14-2007, 04:44 PM
so say you hit a deep puddle, throw it in neutral and kill the ignition? or would it be too late by then...?

what if you're in traffic doing 40 ish? You gonna come to a sudden abrupt stop forcing the dozens of drivers behind you to lock 'em up and swerve to avoid slamming into your ass?

Boone.Msi
04-14-2007, 05:49 PM
If you hit a deep pothole going 40, you have more things to worry about than traffic behind you. I would just throw my hazzards on and cruise to the side of the road...

But in any case, i doubt one would have the catlike reflexes to do that trick, after they just got rocked by a crater anyways.

Jehu
04-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Not to belabor the issue but you don't need to have a deep craggy pothole to contain enough water to end up with this situation, a mere indent or dip of enough size can hold pleanty of water

Robin-535im
04-15-2007, 12:04 AM
All E34 have CAI stock.
Word.

Jehu
04-15-2007, 12:16 AM
If anyone was really uncertain as to what i referred (http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=cold+air+intake&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2)

Jon K
04-15-2007, 12:48 AM
If your air filter is low enough to suck up a puddle you need to reconsider waking up in the morning.

Jehu
04-15-2007, 01:07 AM
I thought I remembered some teenager here all pumped about installing one so i figured this might have some value to him or others as yet unclear about the real risks but, whatever.

gtopaul
04-15-2007, 11:21 AM
Hate to tell you bu the hydro lock happens to a lot of BMWs because of the air intake being lower in the front of the car. Doesn't only happen to modified cars. From experience I can tell you it's about a $9k job for sixes and an $11k job for eights to install a new factory engine. Just did one in a 2003 540 but his insurance compnay picked up the tab. Lucky guy.

Paul

attack eagle
04-15-2007, 11:49 PM
My m50 already requires premium...

Kalevera
04-16-2007, 12:05 AM
So you rock a cold air intake ,do ya? Today while at a shop getting an oil change i spyed what looked like an M60 on the floor. I asked if it was an M60 and he said it was an M62, I ask whats it doing on the floor and he says it has a hole in the block... I ask how that happened and he said , "Cold air intake... the guy went into a puddle and sucked the water in the air intake and something done blowed up..
They did a kind of lookover the whole vehicle and i need PS hoses/res, tie rods(all) and they recco'ed headlights. then all fluid flush and install new plugs and filters... they said other than the heater core having that small leak its just normal wear and age items and everything else was in good shape. they greased my doors and shook my hand. Free Mobile 1 10-30 and filter... new customer lure..
I'd venture to say that it wasn't the CAI's fault. This is a fairly common E39 malady.

Lots of documented cases of people driving into car washes and coming out needing a new motor.

Poor design, another reason not to buy an E39.

Jehu
04-16-2007, 12:20 AM
I'd venture to say that it wasn't the CAI's fault. This is a fairly common E39 malady.

Lots of documented cases of people driving into car washes and coming out needing a new motor.

Poor design, another reason not to buy an E39.

wow,did not know that. I have in the back of my mind been wondering what i might do when eventually this 540 can no longer justify the expenses of maintaining and repairing . I honestly don't like the E39 look as much as i do the e34 but i like the newer styles far less than even that so i am really gonna have to get a hell of a lot of life out of this car before i have to settle for anything less because there doesn't appear to be anything on the face of the earth i personally see I'd like as much..

Evan
05-09-2007, 07:22 PM
how about a 2004 330 with sport and performance packages... alcantara interior.. six speeds... that's what I'm searching for