PDA

View Full Version : Tail Light message a thing of the past!

BuckNaked
04-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Many thanks to Markus for hooking me up with set of replacement tailights!
I had the nagging taillight message that finally wouldn't go away. No more! I had that bad boy swapped out in under 4 minutes! These cars are amazing...

I have attached a photo that shows how badly distorted the socket became. It could no longer hold contact.

LunatiC
04-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Holy crap! I take it those weren't OE lights? Look a bit like DEPOs from that angle...

EDIT: I take that back, I'm 99% sure they're OE (due to orange tint in blinker section and grey thinner wires). How on earth did the socket get so distorted!?

BuckNaked
04-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Lens says HELLA on front...
Heat from the bulb did the damage. I hope it doesn't repeat on the new set.
I wonder if at some point someone used the wrong bulb...
I am going to check OEM parts specs to make sure it doesn't happen again.

BuckNaked
05-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Sho 'nuff, wrong replacement bulb. The new housings started to melt around the bulb again. I have only myself to blame for falling asleep instead of checking the proper bulb specs.
Sylvania 5008 10 watt euro bulb. 2/$2.99 would have saved me $40. Fak.

bmwrp8
05-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Many thanks to Markus for hooking me up with set of replacement tailights!
I had the nagging taillight message that finally wouldn't go away. No more! I had that bad boy swapped out in under 4 minutes! These cars are amazing...

I have attached a photo that shows how badly distorted the socket became. It could no longer hold contact.

hmmm....looks exactly like mine..and yup its because of wrong replacement bulbs..learn in a hard way also:(

RallyD
05-17-2007, 09:43 AM
i was wondering why one tail light on my car was brighter than the other. at the same time a brake light bulb blew out. Took the wrong tail light popped it in the brake socket and bought a new set of 5008 for the tails.

Nick.Hay
01-23-2008, 12:57 AM
MOTHERBITCH!!

After months of the dreaded "taillight" message, and being able to rectify it by banging on the lens... I finally pulled out my aftermarket (DEPO) clear, to find that it has also done similar to the pic above...

Bastard!! So I'm gonna solder the contact to the globe holder for the time being, til my replacements arrive from the 'magical' land of EBay. I am going to uy another set of aftermarkets, as the price for genuine units is around $330AUD each!!

And the globe specs are apparently:

Park- 10w
blinker/indicator/turn- 21w
brake- 21w

uscharalph
01-23-2008, 03:50 AM
One of my pet peeves: People driving around with the wrong bulbs. LOL!!!!

LunatiC
01-23-2008, 03:53 AM
Bastard!! So I'm gonna solder the contact to the globe holder for the time being, til my replacements arrive from the 'magical' land of EBay. I am going to uy another set of aftermarkets, as the price for genuine units is around $330AUD each!!

From stuartb2005?

Dave M
01-23-2008, 07:04 AM
I've been using 5w bulbs for this reason. I'd use 2w, but cornering and braking would suffer.

Nick.Hay
01-24-2008, 12:05 AM
Yeah, Stuartb2003 I think it is.

I bought my angeleyes from him late last year. He seems reliable and reasonable, with decent parts for sale.

You dealt with him??

LunatiC
01-24-2008, 04:49 AM
Yeah I have dealt with him from a tipoff from a member of ECCA. The tipoff told me to mention ECCA to him and he will throw in postage for free. Not sure if he does that anymore.

I got my DEPOs (rears, sides and fronts) from him and other than the issue I had with the rear lights and the globe connectors not clicking in (which I had posted about on here, then went and used a soldering iron to modify / melt the hole so the connector goes in better), I haven't had any other issues with his product.

He packs the product well and posts quick, so he's a champ.

Yeah, Stuartb2003 I think it is.

I bought my angeleyes from him late last year. He seems reliable and reasonable, with decent parts for sale.

You dealt with him??