PDA

View Full Version : 92 525i M50 engine wiring harness manual vs automatic

bissellh
04-13-2007, 10:43 AM
I bought an excellent engine wiring harness from a local salvage yard for my 92 BMW 525i before I knew there is a difference in the harnesses between manual and automatic transmission vehicles. My 92 BMW 525i is a manual, but the harness I bougt is from an automatic.

The obvious physical difference is the additional connector for the transmission computer in the automatic harness. I imagine there are wires going between the transmission, transmission computer and ECU in the automatic harness that are not present in the manual harness.

Can I use this harness in my manual car after removing the transmission computer connector and all related wiring? Or, would it be best to find a manual transmission harness for my car?

yaofeng
04-13-2007, 02:23 PM
I believe you can use the wiring harness for the auto on your 5 speed. You may want to add a connector for the back-up light switch absent in the auto. But that is spliced from the gear shift selector. Just leave the connector for the trans computer hanging in the engine compartment.