PDA

View Full Version : Need some help removing cruise control cable from motor on V8 (540)

TC535i
04-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Hey guys, my Cruise Control wire had a bad bushing where it connects to the throttle assembly, and was holding the throttle down (stuck) even when I'd let off the gas. :(

Managed to disconnect it up top and keep it from happening, look in the ETK, and you can't buy the bushing... you buy a whole new cable assembly. Fine.

Ordered the cable, comes with all the stuff, go to swap em out... and the stock one is kinda "stuck" inside the cruise control motor. I can't figure out how to disconnect the thing, and I can only get a good look at the new one, since the old one is kinda in an awkward place.

Anyone replaced the cable before? Tips/tricks??

Thanks!

-Tim

TC535i
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
Nobody??

To clarify, I'm having trouble disconnecting the end of the cruise control cable from the cruise control motor unit.

winfred
04-12-2007, 12:20 PM
the plastic thing on the end by the cruise motor has a almost hidden latch/button, this lets you pull it part way out, you need the engine end unhooked to pull it out enough to get to the barrel connector

pingu
04-12-2007, 03:32 PM
I did a post about a month back on repairing the cruise control actuator. The post has a link to a website with a PDF document that has great photos of what you're trying to unplug - might help you to avoid learning the hard way (breaking it!) how it fits together.

TC535i
04-12-2007, 04:42 PM
the plastic thing on the end by the cruise motor has a almost hidden latch/button, this lets you pull it part way out, you need the engine end unhooked to pull it out enough to get to the barrel connector
Cool... I already unhooked that part (that's what was sticking), at this point the wire is curled up in a corner. I miss my cruise control. :(

I'll take a look for the button...

TC535i
04-12-2007, 04:43 PM
I did a post about a month back on repairing the cruise control actuator. The post has a link to a website with a PDF document that has great photos of what you're trying to unplug - might help you to avoid learning the hard way (breaking it!) how it fits together.
Thanks... maybe it'll help me find the top secret release. :)