PDA

View Full Version : What to do now...

Phatty5BMW
04-10-2007, 06:52 PM
Well I am due for a Trans filter replacement a few miles ago and actually had some time to do it. Drained my fluid, Got the big nut off.

So I start tackling the 10mm nuts for the pan. I started at the back, worked my way to the front....

Long story short, one of the bolts broke on the front of the pan. I didn't apply that much torque, at all. I used a 3/8 ratchet.... Sprayed them down n everything. The last one won't budge and I am not about to break another.

I don't have much bolt in the pan to work with so I don't know what the F*ck to do now. Kind of screwed as this is my only car really. The vw truck needs an axle pretty bad....

Any input guys? Please? lol

Pat

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-10-2007, 06:59 PM
[4hp22?

Phatty5BMW
04-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Yea sorry I left this out, yes it is the zf

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
at the case or in the retainer.

If it's in the retainer, then you may be able to get it out with a vise grip.

If it's flush with the case then go get an ez out, drill and back it out.

Phatty5BMW
04-10-2007, 07:17 PM
It is broken off a little before the pan. Sticks out about 3-4mm. I was going to attempt the vice grip but didn't think that would work beings the socket didn't get it. I am about to go give it a try. Do you know how the pan acutally bolts to the trans? Does the bolt screw threw the clamp or is the trans threaded itself?

Thanks for the quick response man.

Pat

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-10-2007, 07:23 PM
the retainer clamp/block thingy is just that, no threads in it.

So once you get the pan off, spay some WD40 or something on it, go have a beer, then try to get it out with a vise grip.

Good luck

winfred
04-10-2007, 07:31 PM
yea spray it down good with something better then wd40 if you got it and get after it with vice grips, non worn out still have their teeth vice grips if you have them

Phatty5BMW
04-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Well I just had a beer or 3 now and tried the vice-grips and this was actually there first time being used so there brand new and a big fat no dice. The bolt is so flimsy it just crushed in the grips and there is no working room or nothing. I don't think I can get an ez out tonight and see if that works.
I don't really wan't to start drilling the trans but I guess I have no choice.

This blows. I always thought me breaking bolts was from the beer.... This time I start the project sober... well.... ya.. and **** still breaks. I guess the
e34 will be sittin in the garage for a few days.... This freaking sucks..

Thanks for the replys guys. Add this one to the record books.
I should start my own How To on removing broken bolts on every part of the e34 possible.....

Pat

Phatty5BMW
04-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I got another few more questions for you guys.

I got another bolt to replace the broken one but the one that I have doesn't have a little nipple on the top like the other ones and about 5 threads longer. You think that will be ok?

Another question. The old bolt is stuck in the clip still. I haven't put it on the vice yet or nothing but wondering if it actually comes out. Will I have to replace the clip also?

I am going to have to shave the bolt flush to the pan with a dremel to get this easy-out bit in there. If it is a complete failure, could I get away with a heli-coil kit or you think retapping the threads would be neccesary?

Thanks again for all the info guys.

Pat

Phatty5BMW
04-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Well the last bolt that was basicly holding the pan in besides the broken one.... BROKE.. 2 Days of PB blaster. I tried drilling the one and had no luck so far with the pan on. So with the pan off I can *hopefully* drill right through the thing.

I called napa earlier in the day had them check for the ez-out. Of course they have it. I get there and wow look at that all standard... I got a 1/8-1/4 4 point one instead of the screw type extractor.

I need to have a beer before I feel the urge to kill something.... again..... :D

No input guys!?!?!?!

Pat

winfred
04-11-2007, 05:30 PM
the clip will be fine, helicoil if the threads are ****ed, 6mm x 1.0 thread, longer won't hurt if the hole is deep enough or goes all the way through