PDA

View Full Version : Hydraulic system. High pressure?

Daddario
04-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Hi guys! My clutch after it has been changed started slipping after 4000km. Engagement point got high in this period and since I'm not clutch burner driver I wonder what might be causing this. Another thing concerning hydraulics. My brake pads are touching the disc. Sometimes so much, that I can hear a contact sound between these two with windows opened. I'm also not brake style driver. However, even after short drive, discs are hot as hell. Do you have any idea what may be causing such high pressure in the system? If it is a matter of high pressure. In time a have no better idea. Thanks for help.

Podmore
04-10-2007, 05:24 AM
Hi guys! My clutch after it has been changed started slipping after 4000km. Engagement point got high in this period and since I'm not clutch burner driver I wonder what might be causing this. Another thing concerning hydraulics. My brake pads are touching the disc. Sometimes so much, that I can hear a contact sound between these two with windows opened. I'm also not brake style driver. However, even after short drive, discs are hot as hell. Do you have any idea what may be causing such high pressure in the system? If it is a matter of high pressure. In time a have no better idea. Thanks for help.

Sounds very much like binding brakes caused by the pistons not retracting in their bores. I'd be pulling the calipers off and applying brake cleaner to the pistons, then working them in and out a bit (someone applying the brakes for you) while you control the limit of piston travel with a C clamp, which you then use to push the pistons right back into the bores. Keep an eye on the brake fluid level, you may cause the master cylinder to overflow when the pistons are pushed right back in. If it's a 4-pot caliper you'll need to control 3 out of the 4 pistons while you work on each one in turn. This problem can also be caused or exacerbated by moisture in the brake fluid - best to flush your system and completely replace the fluid while you're under there. How long since it was done? Every year is best, hydraulic fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs moisture) and water makes steel rust ... but you know that already ..
Clutch problem - is it cable or hydraulic (pardon my ignorance, my only experience is with auto Bimmers)? If hydraulic may also be caused by the slave cylinder piston not retracting fully, thus keeping some pressure on the throwout bearing, but this is not very likely. If cable, it's an adjustment issue, maybe a locknut not done up?

Ross
04-10-2007, 07:55 AM
Sounds like the clutch has not been engaging fully since replacement, maybe due to incorrect pedal adjustment.
The brakes are supposed to lightly drag. If you are heating up the rotors check everything for rust where the pads move and the caliper bolts to make sure the caliper slides freely. I think is more likely than a sticky piston within the caliper but flush the brake fluid also.
Collapsed hydraulic lines can cause both the issues you have also by preventing fluid from returning to the resevoir leaving residual pressure in the line. Usually this will manifest itself by worsening with every use of the brake or clutch.

632 Regal
04-10-2007, 06:05 PM
heres the brakes

Collapsed hydraulic lines can cause both the issues you have also by preventing fluid from returning to the resevoir leaving residual pressure in the line. Usually this will manifest itself by worsening with every use of the brake or clutch.

Daddario
05-08-2007, 11:50 PM
Thank you, guys for your input. I really appreciate it. Especially to Podmore. Indeed, the clutch slave cylinder piston wasn't retracting fully. It was stuck and overpressurized with air. When I unscrewed the bolts, it shot out of the clutch. I cleaned it, lubricated it, rebled the system and now everything is in order. Thanks again.