PDA

View Full Version : Peake Tool - Will it tell more than just "1221" ??

Super90
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
I was trouble shooting a 1221 code on my '94 530i and have always thought a Peake tool might be useful. Question is, does it tell you much more detail other than "#1 O-2 Sensor" ? Especially since this code from the stomp test could be thrown by all sorts of things.

It would make it easier to reset lights etc. as well, and I don't like paying folks $85 to pull codes. My old indy in San Antonio never charged me anything, but don't know of anyone here in Dallas that will pull the codes free and sell me the parts to DIY.

Any help appreciated,

R.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-09-2007, 02:41 PM
but you still get a code and a code book to look at.

You can clear the stored codes and run the car and read as many times as you like as you narrow down the problem.

reset the service lights.

But as with any diagnostic tool you always have to look at the the fault codes as part of the symptom and not always the of the prolem root problem. O2 code could also be vacuum leaks, O2 relay, etc.

Tiger
04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
No... Peake tool will just tell you that. Carsoft is the one you are probably interested in... It uses the laptop to retrieve and talk to your car. I just bought a kit for Mercedes but I am waiting for another adapter to arive before I can tell whether it works or not. I paid under $200 for dealer grade diagnostic machine. Sold on ebay... look under alpha-bid seller or carsoft BMW and you will see it.

Remember, I just got the kit and I haven't got a chance to check if it works or not... it should work. It is just that my laptop has no serial port so I needed a PCMCIA serial port adapter to make it work. The seller said the USB serial adapter is a hit or miss proposition.

Hallmark
04-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I've gone to Lone Star Bavarian in Ft. Worth on a couple of occasions. I call ahead so I'm not coming when he's swamped. Trent is the owner and, for car club members, he has been known to pull the codes as a way to get you back when you need work you don't want to tackle. He can get you the parts too.

http://www.lonestarbavarian.com/

whiskychaser
04-10-2007, 10:54 AM
No... Peake tool will just tell you that. Carsoft is the one you are probably interested in... It uses the laptop to retrieve and talk to your car. I just bought a kit for Mercedes but I am waiting for another adapter to arive before I can tell whether it works or not. I paid under $200 for dealer grade diagnostic machine. Sold on ebay... look under alpha-bid seller or carsoft BMW and you will see it.

Remember, I just got the kit and I haven't got a chance to check if it works or not... it should work. It is just that my laptop has no serial port so I needed a PCMCIA serial port adapter to make it work. The seller said the USB serial adapter is a hit or miss proposition.

Be interested to know how you get on with that. I got the interface for about £80 off ebay and the 'carsoft' software for about £5. Mine will not read live data off my '92 525i but the seller didnt claim it would do it for all models. It will read stored faults and reset service lights. It will also read EGS codes which I'm not sure the Peake does. And it its anything like mine you def need the PCMCIA card. Mine cost £9 though I think it came from China by sea :-)

Tiger
04-10-2007, 04:14 PM
On newer cars, it is supposed to be able to do alot... The software I am getting is one year back... but that's okay. As long it works, I am happy. I know on older cars, it is much more limited.

I think for your software, you should be able to reset the airbag code too... and that is more than Peake can do. Peake is simply a counter that gives you 1234 code.

For my kit, I got the 3 prongs for much older cars... the current MB socket similar to BMW's big round socket... and OBC2 adapter... plus the adapter and the software.

I got several cars to test this on so I will know for sure how it works out.

bmwrp8
04-11-2007, 01:46 AM
i'm also interested at that carsoft...how much did you pay?plus shipping? saw one in ebay for $170++ is that all you pay for?

Tiger
04-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Yep, that's all I paid.

bmwrp8
04-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Yep, that's all I paid.
tiger where are you located? and how long did you wait till the carsoft came?

whiskychaser
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
tiger where are you located? and how long did you wait till the carsoft came?

Wait? You can download it. Just key in something like 'bmw diagnostic' on ebay. As this is an open forum I will state that I am not encouraging anyone to break any copyright rules. Honest

Tiger
04-11-2007, 01:37 PM
The seller is in WA or Canada... he has two locations. I got it in 4 days as he used Priority Shipping.