PDA

View Full Version : Weird electrical problem

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-08-2007, 02:04 PM
This is a new one on a 90 525 (build date 10/89)

Start the car and it runs fine, but the cluster is dead, except for dim lighted Brake Fluid, Seat Belt, both Turn singnal indicators, Oil service bars and the LCD displying "Fasten Belts". No tach, speedo, temp, & fuel.

now the reallyweird part...turn the car off and those lights in the cluster stay on until you flick the headlidhts on/off or disconnect the battery.

Pulled every relay in the E box, and under the seat thinking a relay died, but no luck.

Anybody got an idea what to do?

Podmore
04-08-2007, 06:54 PM
This is a new one on a 90 525 (build date 10/89)

Start the car and it runs fine, but the cluster is dead, except for dim lighted Brake Fluid, Seat Belt, both Turn singnal indicators, Oil service bars and the LCD displying "Fasten Belts". No tach, speedo, temp, & fuel.

now the reallyweird part...turn the car off and those lights in the cluster stay on until you flick the headlidhts on/off or disconnect the battery.

Pulled every relay in the E box, and under the seat thinking a relay died, but no luck.

Anybody got an idea what to do?
I had intermittent stupidity happening with my instrument cluster, did something along the lines of the above highly technical advice, and since then all seems to be OK again. Go fiddle, you'll learn something new whatever happens!

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-09-2007, 01:07 PM
and see what happens

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-12-2007, 02:57 PM
I don't need to drive the ol' Dodge caravan

pingu
04-12-2007, 03:29 PM
Did replacing the capacitors fix it?

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-12-2007, 05:03 PM
buddy came up with an old board, so I swapped my coding plug into it and put everything back.

I'll re capacitor the old board for fun.