PDA

View Full Version : Problem with oxygen sensor connector

M Malaviya
04-08-2007, 09:48 AM
Car was running sluggish at low revs, also idle was temperamental. Fault traced to the oxygen sensor connector to the engine wiring. BMW suggest that the only way to get a new connector would be to replace the engine wiring harness, since those connectors cannot be sold individually!! The wiring for the engine bay will cost £525, including vat. Since this is beyond consideration, anyone have experience of wiring directly by bullet connectors?

winfred
04-08-2007, 09:59 AM
id splice on a connector from a junked bmw, most of the 02 connectors are the same from 88-95 on all bmws, that big round 4 pin twist connector

whiskychaser
04-08-2007, 12:30 PM
Car was running sluggish at low revs, also idle was temperamental. Fault traced to the oxygen sensor connector to the engine wiring. BMW suggest that the only way to get a new connector would be to replace the engine wiring harness, since those connectors cannot be sold individually!! The wiring for the engine bay will cost £525, including vat. Since this is beyond consideration, anyone have experience of wiring directly by bullet connectors?

I think Mr BMW is taking something that begins with a p. Not being funny but £525 is about half the value of the motor! You got to go for the rewire as Winfred suggested. I would do it with choc blocks if it sorted the problem:-)

M Malaviya
04-08-2007, 06:05 PM
id splice on a connector from a junked bmw, most of the 02 connectors are the same from 88-95 on all bmws, that big round 4 pin twist connector

Thanks Winfred.
I take it, its ok to just use bullets - after all the connector is no more than a fancy plastic locking device. In the UK its rare to find junk yards to source another connector to splice on.