PDA

View Full Version : OT: Local BMW freak. Say Hi?

wingman
04-08-2007, 07:12 AM
I have noticed a house a dozen streets from mine that has a number of BMWs in the drive. I've noticed an old 70's 633csi, a couple of E30's, an E23 7 and an old E21 'parts car' in the vacant block next door. The guy is obviously a BMW freak (God love him), Should I drop in and say G'day? Surprisingly for a cop I'm actually quite shy but I really wanna say 'Hi' to this bloke. There are about 4 BMW drivers in my town ( 24,000 pop.). Cultivate his aquaintance or just give a knowing nod when I see him drive by?

mattyb
04-08-2007, 07:25 AM
mate i'm all for the knowing nod. i know its sounds wierd but it just seems easier to find another way to meet folks these days before they know where you live and whta you do etc if you're in a business where privacy and professional circumstances are a consideration. Or am I just being paranoid?

wingman
04-08-2007, 07:30 AM
That's the way I see it as well. Some would say paranoid but as you know it's good to stay anonomous in some lines of work...

mattyb
04-08-2007, 07:35 AM
its a sad state of affairs for the world we live in but thats how it goes. not much we can do about it but be on the side of caution. maybe stick a note in the letterbox or something or maybe hell just see us cruisin about in August and say gidday.

Ross
04-08-2007, 09:13 AM
Write him a ticket.

632 Regal
04-08-2007, 09:31 AM
wheel up in the squad car and knock on the door. Introduce yourself and tell him about this site. Even though youll probably smell weed and stuff let him know that we stick together here and he will probably love to meet you. *as you hear toilets flushing in the background*:D

wingman
04-08-2007, 09:36 AM
Write him a ticket.

Maybe, "Driver fail to register membership with bimmer.info"?

fujioko
04-08-2007, 09:41 AM
I have a Triumph Spitfire… When you own a British car… your part of a family. If I see another English car person I’ll try to make friends. (USA) I’m not really an outgoing person, but this only seems natural.

The exception is of course Jaguar people. Don’t really want to know them.

This Bimmer nut sounds like he might be an Ok guy. Could be a jerk like SOME Jag folks are. Only one way to find out.

Disreguard my signature... I'm not ready to change it yet.

wingman
04-08-2007, 09:56 AM
You MUST change your sig!

repenttokyo
04-08-2007, 09:57 AM
if you see him out in his yard while you are driving by, stop and say hi, it's perfectly reasonable.

markus
04-08-2007, 09:58 AM
those POS jags.

SharkmanBMW
04-08-2007, 02:01 PM
I would be a little freaked if a guy just came to my door... especially in uniform!

I say, leave a note on his car, tell him about the site, give him your phone # and see if he is "friendly" if he calls.

BTW - Jeff - I loved your "toilets flushing" comment!! good one!

Jon K
04-08-2007, 03:14 PM
I have a Triumph Spitfire… When you own a British car… your part of a family. If I see another English car person I’ll try to make friends. (USA) I’m not really an outgoing person, but this only seems natural.

The exception is of course Jaguar people. Don’t really want to know them.

This Bimmer nut sounds like he might be an Ok guy. Could be a jerk like SOME Jag folks are. Only one way to find out.

Disreguard my signature... I'm not ready to change it yet.

That's not a family, its a rescue team - it requires the careful thinking and sipping of tea to figure out why the hell some of the things in those cars are wired and even more careful thinking resolving how you're going to fix it. Thats a bit more like NASA sans the astronomy and intelligence :)

genphreak
04-08-2007, 06:40 PM
That's not a family, its a rescue team - it requires the careful thinking and sipping of tea to figure out why the hell some of the things in those cars are wired and even more careful thinking resolving how you're going to fix it. Thats a bit more like NASA sans the astronomy and intelligence :)LOL yea too right. Most British cars require the R-team to be readied (inc. mobile workshops and tea infrastructure) from the towns en-route to one's destination. Rondas (Rover Hondas) and Rust are the only things that saved the Brits from complete automotive distraction...

Tony, I reckon you should drop by and scare the dude (if you do). When all the 5ers turn up he'll know not to mess wid da bro' dow' the ro'...

Of course it'd be funnier if you can wait until we all get there... he might assume we're all in the Job (but we'll all need to be standing on the lawn with serious looks on for the full effect of that)!

fujioko
04-08-2007, 07:23 PM
LOL…. So true

The Spitfire group that I’m a member of have a rescue team called M.A.S.H. Mobil Army of Spitfire Helpers.

Any journey of more than 100 miles requires planning. Always know where the closest “friendly” is.

Paul in NZ
04-09-2007, 05:37 AM
if you see him out in his yard while you are driving by, stop and say hi, it's perfectly reasonable.

I am with this approach.Gosh i mean I have heard of large gatherings of people halfway across a country with no more knowledge of one another than a few random postings on an internet site....how weird is that!
You wil soon know if he is freindly or not...

bmwrp8
04-11-2007, 01:54 AM
Write him a ticket.

Nice advise man!:p

BFEINZIMER
04-11-2007, 02:23 AM
....Even though youll probably smell weed....*as you hear toilets flushing in the background*:D

no comment

Nick.Hay
04-11-2007, 03:26 AM
Spitfire as in Supermarine Spitfire??

Michael999
04-11-2007, 03:51 AM
i saw an E34 badged as M5 a few weeks ago.
went forum hunting, found the guy, now hes on my msn, and we are going on a club cruise this coming sunday!

just go round and say hi!

Nick.Hay
04-11-2007, 04:08 AM
Yeah, just pop in and say hi, not so much as a "bimmer.info" sales pitch, but more as "Seen all your cars... You must have the same fetish as me!!"

fujioko
04-11-2007, 04:54 AM
Hi 'ya Nick,

Spitfire, as in Triumph Spitfire. A little British car that was named after the Supermarine Spitfire.

steve0suprem0
04-13-2007, 12:48 PM
Yeah, just pop in and say hi, not so much as a "bimmer.info" sales pitch, but more as "Seen all your cars... You must have the same fetish as me!!"

if some dude dropped in and said "we got the same fetish," i'd slam the door in his face and move across town. a chick, i'd probably make her dinner and then show her my piercings...

ok, that was really lame. i'm sorry. i won't do it again.

i do like the idea of being ticketed for late bimmer.info registration.

wingman
04-15-2007, 05:33 AM
I'm currently non-operational (which means I don't write tickets or be a general A.H.) I don't have any reason to fear this guy because as a police weapons trainer I could kill him if I wanted...just like Chuck Norris). What really scares me is that at every second minute on my weekends I'll get a call saying, "Have you got a fuel line hose clamp for an E30?" Hey F**K It. That's cool. I'm going to say G'day!

skr
04-15-2007, 07:15 AM
you are no match for chuck norris

wingman
04-15-2007, 08:21 AM
If I was Chuck Norris this guy would come and say Hi to me because he'd be afraid that I would kill him if he didn't!

BigKriss
05-30-2007, 02:40 AM
What eventually happened Wingman?

Ross
05-30-2007, 08:42 AM
The neighbor IS Chuck Norris, sadly, he has killed Wingman for not having introduced himself.