PDA

View Full Version : buy your 7506 tail lights from autozone or walmart instead....

ryan roopnarine
04-07-2007, 08:18 PM
long story short, my centre brake light + socket somehow fell out of the socket. I went down to the dealership to buy a new socket and bulb for it, and, having only $13 in my pocket (they ask you to pay in advance for items they don't have in stock) asked for the holder and a single bulb only, though i wanted to buy a couple of them and replace all of my tail lights at the same time. for whatever reason (they knew my face, they trusted me...), they didn't ask me to pay for it in advance, just took down my contact info, and said it should be there in about two days time. i then proceeded to go down to the au-tow-zone and to try to purchase 4-7506 bulbs, one for each holder in the back. i was wary of using aftermarket bulbs after having been sent some really crappy chinese turds from BMA (though i asked for cheapest) that set off the check control alert, and looked through the sylvania blister pack to ensure that they were made in germany. i felt as though i should be ok installing these.....

coda to long story short

go to install bulbs today, take out the bmw bulb, read it, and notice....

the autozone sylvania bulbs say : OSRAM--Made in Germany
the bmw dealer bulb says: OSRAM--Made in Germany

its the same flipping bulb!

somehow, the autozone gets by selling two osram 7506s for $4.30 for two
while bmw must scrape by by selling the same bulb for $4.12 each!

i know, i know, miser masturbation fest over here. i only say this 'cause i know some people are like me, and like to change out all of their bulbs if one is burnt as PM, or are "restoring" their cars, and would like to hit all of these bulbs at the same time. save your pennies for the rear tail light bulbs (the widdle 5008 ones) from the dealer, or get them from somewhere other than autozone that sells something other than the cheap looking chinese jobs.

Tiger
04-07-2007, 09:19 PM
Knew about that long ago... Philips and Osram/Sylvania both sell german bulbs in all autoparts stores.

ryan roopnarine
04-07-2007, 09:43 PM
i knew that there was a possbility that the bmw one could have been made by a company that sold their product in parts stores, it's just that these bulbs were IDENTICAL, as in, if you played the shell game with the two bulbs, you would not be able to tell which was which. right down to a fuscia paint drop in the same place on both bulbs.