PDA

View Full Version : Anyone tried the sword repair procedure on bruno's site?

Jeff N.
04-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Looks like there's a way to fix a bad blower sword.

Anyone tried it? I'd rather do that vs. spend $140 for a rebuilt one. However, I don't want to mess it up and a) have to buy one and b)be out a usable core.

Jeff

henryw525i
04-07-2007, 06:49 PM
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/91956

Shogun posted this up, because I am attempting the same fix...

kev535i
04-07-2007, 07:25 PM
bronos fix is one problem that may exist and shogun/pundit fix is another problem that may exist mine was the second and i have had no problems since repair

TomG
04-08-2007, 07:31 AM
I did the sword repair using the info on Bruno's site. Before the repair, I had speed 4 only, and the motor sounded like it was dying, speed fluctuation, lots of noise. After the sword repair, it still only had speed 4, but the motor sounded fine (??!!!). I then removed the IHKR from in front of the heater box, and found corrosion on the pins on the top LH white connector. After I cleaned that up, the system worked correctly.

Jeff N.
04-08-2007, 09:03 AM
90% of the time, I only get speed 4 but sometime the other speeds will work.

I wonder if this is the mosfet problem or the problem Shogun outlines?

Good tip on checking the connections too.

Podmore
04-08-2007, 06:45 PM
I also had the classic sword problems - blower only working on high, intermittent at other times. Pulled the sword, soldered all the suspect joints ......... Maybe I'm just a klutz because then nothing worked at all. I have no idea whether I may have overheated some of the electronic bits or what. Anyway, I ended up buying one off Ebay, USD$100 with a 2 year warranty. Works fine. I am now practicing my soldering skills on other stuff .......

misfortune
04-09-2007, 08:49 AM
yeah, over a year later my fan control works flawlessly

Zeuk in Oz
04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Looks like there's a way to fix a bad blower sword.

Anyone tried it? I'd rather do that vs. spend $140 for a rebuilt one. However, I don't want to mess it up and a) have to buy one and b)be out a usable core.

Jeff
The Pundit (Shogun) fix is fantastic and cannot harm your sword, so try it first.
I found after a few months that my soldering wasn't up to scratch so I removed it and got an auto-electrician mate to solder it properly - wonderful.

ck1995
04-09-2007, 06:28 PM
I didn't try that one, was worried about the same issue as you. What I did do was pull the sword and clean it with alcohol pads. After that it worked fine for about a year before I ended up buying a used one off ebay for $100 and a 2 yr warranty much like someone else said.