PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss and sounds weird

ck1995
04-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Firstly, I hope I am not breaking any forum rules here but my problem is w/my E36 not my E34. I have always received good advice here for my E34 and it doesn't look like the E36 site gets much traffic, thus I figured E34 gurus should be able to help w/E36 as well.

Also want to apologize as this will likely be a long post to describe.

Car is 1998 E36 323isa w/just over 100,000 miles I had car built to order back in 1998. I know you are thinking and he got an auto? It was the deal I made w/my wife. anyway back to issues at hand.

I have been experiencing intermittent and slight power loss or sluggishness under acceleration. The other day was stopped and went to accelerate and barely got her moving. My Initial thought is Cat. is clogged. Have had marbles in can sound for awhile and it just feels like she isn't breathing properly, plus exhaust sounds are coming from engine compartment instead of tailpipe when accelerating. So at this point I pulled over and I smell coolant. I shut her down and pop hood. Don't see much but coolant residue on engine. Crank her back up and temp gets a little warm but, not past normal line. Check under hood again and notice pin hole in hose above radiator spraying fluid on engine. Shut her down add water and try to drive. As soon as I get to street I hit throttle and sounds horrible almost metallic like and no acceleration. At this point I think I am lucky, as I am right around corner from independent BMW shop I have used in past for repairs I didn't want to tackle. Unfortunately, they have a new lead mechanic.:(

They replace obviously leaking hose and do a 150 point inspection. Of course they point out other issues, but say hose fixed my problem. The only other issue they cite with the engine, is valve gasket is slightly leaking and that I should replace fairly soon or risk coil damage in future. Did I mention they also went for 2, 5 mile test drives. I pick up car get it on street and immediately notice exhaust still sounds like it is coming from under hood, then I get out of traffic hit gas and............. Revs go up noise increases but little to no acceleration. Eventually I get to approx 85mph and she is cruising normally. Seems fine at a constant speed but as soon as I hit accelerator hard, noise starts and acceleration doesn't:(

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

632 Regal
04-06-2007, 06:20 PM
there aint no freakin rules here and feel free to post away. From the sound of it and with what your indy said I'm thinking there is oil in the plug area shorting out the spark. They are 100% correct that it can fry the coils AND the DME!!! First thing you should do is try to soak as much of the oil out with rags and a screwdriver, then remove the plugs and clean up all the rest of the oil, then change the gasket...or all at the same time. A reboot of the computer wont hurt a thing after you do the above. The actual work to do this is pretty easy so you should be able to finish that up in a couple hours even if you dont have a clue what your doing. Remember were here for you most of the time since it's a global forum.

ck1995
04-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Appreciate the quick reply!! My only thought/question is, if its the plugs fowling due to oil, wouldn't she run rough at idle and at speed as well? The only time I am feeling and hearing issues is when I push the pedal down. In other words, it takes for ever to get to whatever mph, but once I am there all seems fine as long as I don't try accelerating???

632 Regal
04-06-2007, 08:50 PM
weak spark blowing out when you hit the gas because of more turbulance in the cylinders..

Appreciate the quick reply!! My only thought/question is, if its the plugs fowling due to oil, wouldn't she run rough at idle and at speed as well? The only time I am feeling and hearing issues is when I push the pedal down. In other words, it takes for ever to get to whatever mph, but once I am there all seems fine as long as I don't try accelerating???

ck1995
04-14-2007, 07:03 PM
well, I changed the valve cover gasket and put new plugs in...........

Result, she idles more smoothly but didn't fix problem. Hit accelerator, engine sounds strained, exhaust note comes from engine bay in lieu of tail pipe, struggles for power..

What could it be, clogged cat, O2 sensor/s, fuel injection, maybe even tranie?

Any ideas appreciated.

Best news is w/just undr 101K, it needed new plugs and gasket anyway.

ck1995
04-16-2007, 08:19 AM
bump

bsell
04-16-2007, 12:17 PM
well, I changed the valve cover gasket and put new plugs in...........

Result, she idles more smoothly but didn't fix problem. Hit accelerator, engine sounds strained, exhaust note comes from engine bay in lieu of tail pipe, struggles for power..

What could it be, clogged cat, O2 sensor/s, fuel injection, maybe even tranie?

Any ideas appreciated.

Best news is w/just undr 101K, it needed new plugs and gasket anyway.
I'm not familiar with your exhaust system but the first thing I would do is pop the cat out of the system and take her on a drive. I would leave the exhaust system on the car, just undo the connection between the engine and the cat. Rebolt the cat to the side of the downpipe to keep the cat (and the rest of the exhaust) from falling into the street!

Sure it is going to be loud, so don't get too revved up, but see if the car's WOT acceleration is improved. If so, you might have a blockage aft of the cat so bolt the cat back on and disconnect the exhaust at the back of the cat and test drive.

Please remember that I am not familiar with your exhaust so maybe my easy, breezy unbolt suggestion won't work as describe on you model but the idea is the same...get the cat out of the exhaust flow to test your theory of a plugged cat.

Brian

ck1995
04-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Brian,

Good thought, I'll give it a try. If I remember correctly it is all bolt connections just like the E34 so it should work???????????