PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use Dexron VI ATF

Russell
04-06-2007, 04:34 PM
Anyone use Dexron VI ATF instead of Dexron III in the GM auto tranys installed in the 525i e34s? I understand Dexron III will not be available much longer because of the newer spec.

I have not really noticed in stores if the newer version is widely available. Just curious as I am due for a trany fluid change in a couple of months.

Blitzkrieg Bob
04-06-2007, 04:53 PM
I, II, III Iv, Pretty much the same, but they keep tweaking it for a new market

bigtisas
08-19-2007, 02:51 AM
Just drained (not flush) the tranny and refilled with Chevron Dexron IV synthetic. Mobil also also makes Dexron IV syn but Chevron is $1 cheaper. :P See how it goes. Here's some info about Dexron IV I found online (http://www.3800pro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5257).

------------------

The new Dexron-VI will have the following advantages compared to current Dexron-III:

More consistent viscosity during service(that is, very little sheardown).
More consistent shift performance, especially in extreme conditions.
More than double the durability in friction characteristics.
More fluid life by about 50 percent.
You can get one indication of the tighter spec limits by comparing the requirements that GM has placed on its cyclic shifting test. For the Dexron-III G spec, you had to achieve acceptable cycling test performance for 20,000 cycles. For Dexron-III H, the bar was raised to 32,000 cycles. And, for the new Dexron-VI, you have to perform well for 42,000 cycles....This superior performance under high temperature conditions has allowed GM’s new ATF to be designed for drain intervals of 100,000 miles (normal service) or 50,000 miles (severe service).

genphreak
08-19-2007, 05:24 AM
Just drained (not flush) the tranny and refilled with Chevron Dexron IV synthetic. Mobil also also makes Dexron IV syn but Chevron is $1 cheaper. :P See how it goes. Here's some info about Dexron IV I found online (http://www.3800pro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5257).

------------------

The new Dexron-VI will have the following advantages compared to current Dexron-III:

More consistent viscosity during service(that is, very little sheardown).
More consistent shift performance, especially in extreme conditions.
More than double the durability in friction characteristics.
More fluid life by about 50 percent.
You can get one indication of the tighter spec limits by comparing the requirements that GM has placed on its cyclic shifting test. For the Dexron-III G spec, you had to achieve acceptable cycling test performance for 20,000 cycles. For Dexron-III H, the bar was raised to 32,000 cycles. And, for the new Dexron-VI, you have to perform well for 42,000 cycles....This superior performance under high temperature conditions has allowed GM’s new ATF to be designed for drain intervals of 100,000 miles (normal service) or 50,000 miles (severe service).

I'd choose more carefully- ZF and BMW ONLY reccommend Castrol Transmax synthetic, and this is never a matter of a drop in replacement being near enough.

Russell
08-19-2007, 07:50 AM
Thanks, I purchased Castrol Dexron VI and plan to put it in my GM trany in the next couple of weeks as I have 33,000miles on my current Mobil 1 Dexron synthetic III fill.

bigtisas
08-19-2007, 12:05 PM
Never seen Castrol Transmax synthetic at local shops. May be it named something else in U.S. BTW, GM stopped market Dextron III and started to promote Dextron VI.

Bill R.
08-19-2007, 12:48 PM
straight to six on their designation. Dexron III will still be around but GM is not licensing the name to anybody anymore trying to encourage them to start producing dexron VI instead Everybody else making atf has already changed the name of their product. For example Chevron is now calling their dexron III
the mysterious name of MD-3..... not too tough to figure out that that stands for mercon-dexron III. Since VI is alot more expensive to produce and a thinner viscosity a number of oil producers are hesitant to license the new product and are continuing to make the Dexron III under another name.

Anyone use Dexron VI ATF instead of Dexron III in the GM auto tranys installed in the 525i e34s? I understand Dexron III will not be available much longer because of the newer spec.

I have not really noticed in stores if the newer version is widely available. Just curious as I am due for a trany fluid change in a couple of months.