PDA

View Full Version : Cannot open the trunk...

simon-york
04-06-2007, 10:36 AM
Help please! I am getting my 1990 E34 530 back on the road after a two-year lay up. The trunk (boot) lid button is seized half way in and I can't shift it. I have tried penetrating oil and spray to no avail - will it have to be drilled out?

Any ideas anyone?

Many thanks.
Simon Daubeney

632 Regal
04-06-2007, 01:52 PM
can you get the key to turn at all? Maybe spray some lube through the slot and work it?

simon-york
04-06-2007, 03:27 PM
can you get the key to turn at all? Maybe spray some lube through the slot and work it?

I have tried that but an happy to try it again as you suggest -thank-you. Curiously I have never been able to turn the key in the boot (trunk) lock - although the previous owner - who is a friend- assures me that the key is the correct one. Thus I have never been able to lock the boot while the doors are unlocked. So I never hang around at traffic lights:D

Has anyone else experienced this irritating fault?

632 Regal
04-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Mine actually stuck one time from crud but I couldnt push it all the way in to work, turned out that the trunk was double locked and I was actually pushing against the lock. Played around with the key and got it unlocked, works fine but I wont double lock it again. The crud wasnt the problem in this case...lol

scott540
04-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Mine was like that during this winter. I think it was goobed up with salt and crap from the road and then froze stuck from the car wash. Wouldn't move in or out until it really warmed up and I could really clean it up. As for the key in the lock, mine hasn't turned since I don't remember. I never used it so I never noticed until I tried recently.

dmenheere
04-07-2007, 07:58 AM
For the 5 of 6 years I owned my car I didn't think the trunk locked even turned. After the trunk stopped opening, lock actuator has been intermittient, I was forced to work on the lock. I sprayed it full of lubricating oil a bunch of times working the key trying to turn it and it still felt like it was locked in place. Finally after about a half hour of screwing around I got my spare key and pliers and finally managed to get it turning ... the key did not bend but it was close.

It now turns easily but I still haven't figured out whats up with the actuator ... at least now I can get into the trunk.

hth,

Dave Menheere

tim s
04-07-2007, 08:45 AM
at the trunk hinge, i replaced my actuator & it ended up being the wires.
i think i still have the old one somewhere.
tim s.

winfred
04-07-2007, 08:55 AM
i've gotten into them a few times but i can't remember the access point, either a licesens plate screw hole or one of the plate lights, been a while, but that may be a e36 i am thinking of, theres always the ski hole, popped many a trunk though the ski hole

nirvana19
04-07-2007, 12:42 PM
i have the EXACT same problem. Happened suddenly this morning, as i was about to take the car to be inspected... I haven't really tried anything but.. pushing it.. to open it yet but I just found it interesting that when I searched somebody was having the exact same problem today. My trunk lock cylinder has also never turned (according to the last owner, as far back as when the car was 3 years old the trunk lock cylinder didn't turn. Maybe it has something to do with the cold, sudden cold (snowing) and it was 80 degrees two days ago...

EDIT: also, I don't think the actuator is at fault (though one of my doors is permanently locked right now). when I lock the doors I can push the cylinder all the way in (and it does nothing because its locked). When I unlock, then the cylinder jams after a bit when I push it in. Hmm...

nirvana19
04-07-2007, 06:17 PM
I got the trunk to open after putting the car in the garage (to warm up) and using a hairdryer on the lock and spraying lots of WD-40 in and around. The trunk then suddenly opened. Theres no its "almost" freed or somewhat stuck. Its either stuck or not stuck. Once I got it unstuck, it worked perfectly and I sprayed some WD-40 on all the lock hardware. Now, after putting the car back outside for a couple hours in the 38 degree weather the lock is stuck again. My guess, if I put it back in the garage and it warms up it'll free up again... This is very annoying, any way to make it work consistently?

632 Regal
04-08-2007, 06:31 AM
sounds like a moisture issue, the seal around the button is probably leaking and letting water in there. I would dissassemble the whole lock/button deal and fix the seal and clean the thing out real good.

I got the trunk to open after putting the car in the garage (to warm up) and using a hairdryer on the lock and spraying lots of WD-40 in and around. The trunk then suddenly opened. Theres no its "almost" freed or somewhat stuck. Its either stuck or not stuck. Once I got it unstuck, it worked perfectly and I sprayed some WD-40 on all the lock hardware. Now, after putting the car back outside for a couple hours in the 38 degree weather the lock is stuck again. My guess, if I put it back in the garage and it warms up it'll free up again... This is very annoying, any way to make it work consistently?

whiskychaser
04-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Hi Simon. You are not a million miles from me but you are the wrong side of the pennines:-) I have the same problem and put it down to road salt. Yes the button sticks half way. But if you insert the key fully then twist it so it grips you may be able to pull the button out fully. My key DOES work but it wont engage until that button is right out. I didnt think York was a hot spot for carjacking but I will be on my guard in future :-)