PDA

View Full Version : Video of idle

wjbell
04-05-2007, 11:00 PM
Here's a video I took of my car idling in reference to this thread:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=32207

You might have to turn the volume up a little.

When I drop it in gear you can hear the roughness better, and at the end about 1:15 or so right before I turn the car off you can hear it miss a couple time real good.

Now is this a normal idle for a 535?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akFcRBpXUYA

632 Regal
04-05-2007, 11:26 PM
sounded smoth and level to me

wjbell
04-05-2007, 11:37 PM
sounded smoth and level to me

It's hard to distinguish in the video, but as you're listening to it idle it fluctuates giving it a deeper tone in those moments when the idle dips a little. When that happens you can feel it in the car. It's not terrible, but there's an inconsistency in the idle that translates to a rough vibration inside the cabin.

wjbell
04-05-2007, 11:43 PM
I just realized something from watching the video, Anytime I rev the engine I get small backfires. What would cause backfires?

e34m30SF
04-06-2007, 01:58 AM
I thought it was normal for cars of these vintage? My former '89 had the same thing, but worse, so I figured my 'new' one wasn't so bad.

70383roadrunner
04-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Sounds just like mine. Sounds good to me! What I am thinking is that my car is an 89 535i and maybe just maybe being almost 20 years old that this is normal. May I suggest that if it bothers you that much take it to the dealer and explain to them. Maybe they can diagnose the problem. I have a couple things to check on mine and if it still does the same thing I will consider that normal.

632 Regal
04-06-2007, 08:34 AM
sounds perfectly normal, the little hickups are also normal after reving it up. If the sound is getting heavy inside the car you might be rubbing somewhere. check the muffler hounting hardware and also the motor mounts and stuff.

I just realized something from watching the video, Anytime I rev the engine I get small backfires. What would cause backfires?