PDA

View Full Version : think my power steering pump is on its way out...or worse...

indierthanthou
04-05-2007, 07:54 PM
so I start my car today, and shortly after driving it (i was at the corner of my street) when i apply my brakes to stop i hear this horrible whining that increases in volume with engine rpms, and at 2000 or so it goes away. i also feel a slight drag on my steering wheel and the noise fluctuates slightly. it didnt start this till the first semi-heavy application of my brakes think its the ps pump?

indierthanthou
04-07-2007, 11:55 PM
bump

AllGo'n'Show
04-08-2007, 05:49 AM
Check ur fluid level if u havent yet.

If its white and bubbling or really low then try just topping it up. If you top it up, monitor it over the next little bit, every couple days to start. If its just the fluid dropping then u got a leak, but if it stays the same then u got pump problems.

If the level is not down then check your belt tension, if your belt hasd stretched then it may just be that the power from the engine is being connected with the pump and not working right because of lack in power.

632 Regal
04-08-2007, 06:02 AM
you have LAD? Accumulater?

Jeff N.
04-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Check fluid, check the belts. If not, you can get a rebuild kit for the pump for < $30 and rebuild the seals. Not a that hard of fix although a bit messy.

indierthanthou
04-08-2007, 01:29 PM
What are those? I don't think I have an accumulator, though iirc self leveling suspension had a cap that said ATF ONLY, correct? I have that cap.

E34 530
04-08-2007, 01:33 PM
Mine also whines when its cold out until temp reaches the half way mark.