PDA

View Full Version : Steering making bad noise

t.wak
04-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey everyone,

First issue with my beloved E34 525i (1995). It has 217xxxkms on the clock.

When steering, at about 1/4 turn of the wheel, it starts making a noise. Sounds like a bad bearing or something, which is a kind-of scratching noise I guess. Only does it for a little bit of the wheel travel, and does it when steering both left and right.

The noise is coming from the steering wheel, not the front of the car.

I was just wondering what could be causing it? If needed, I can go out and take a quick sound clip of it.

Cheers,

Aden

t.wak
04-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I've heard of the little bolt under the steering column that should be checked... Would this fix my problem? All I was aware of was that it would reduce any play in the steering, and mine hasn't got any.

genphreak
04-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I've heard of the little bolt under the steering column that should be checked... Would this fix my problem? All I was aware of was that it would reduce any play in the steering, and mine hasn't got any.First try pulling the wheel to check that the horn contacts are properly greased. 20 year old grease needs to be replaced. It makes a surprising noise- it is copper grinding on copper... you might need some special electrical grease- I don't know what they use at the factory. It needs to be thick, conduct electricity and not melt away in the heat. Beware when putting the wheel back on- the indicator lever inside the column sticks out and is easily broken when positioning/tightening the wheel afterwards. :) Nick

t.wak
04-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Thanks Nick, will give it a shot within the next week. Hopefully it doesn't do any damage cruising around in it currently. It isn't super bad at the moment though, as it only does it in some areas.