PDA

View Full Version : V8 starter removal

yaofeng
04-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Has anyone removed the V8 starter with the engine in place? The starter on my 540 is now loose and trapped between the exhaust, the suspension and the engine. Do I have to drop the cross member and the sway bar to get it out?

winfred
04-03-2007, 08:09 PM
usually it's a case of turn it the right way and hold your mouth right and it'll fall out

fin
04-08-2007, 12:09 AM
After removing the heat shields, I had to undo the steering arm from the idler to get the silly thing out. I am usually rather good at wiggling things out of tight spots, but the starter just wasn't going to come out without making the hole bigger.

The local FLAPS had the E12 torx driver needed to remove/tighten the starter bolts. Needed a universal joint with a long extension on the ratchet end and a short extension on the E12 end to get to the bolts themselves.

best of luck,

Fin

yaofeng
04-08-2007, 04:38 AM
After removing the heat shields, I had to undo the steering arm from the idler to get the silly thing out. I am usually rather good at wiggling things out of tight spots, but the starter just wasn't going to come out without making the hole bigger.

Fin

I did get it out without loosening the steering or suspension. After I turn the steering wheel all the way toward the pasenger side, the opening became wide enough the starter fell out.

e34musician
04-08-2007, 05:15 AM
That is a smart trick! I'm taking note here.

I did get it out without loosening the steering or suspension. After I turn the steering wheel all the way toward the pasenger side, the opening became wide enough the starter fell out.

yaofeng
04-14-2007, 11:31 AM
I bench tested the starter. There was nothing wrong. Installed the starter this morning. What I also found was I can bolt on the heat shield to the starter and slip it through the opening with the wheel turned wide right. With the wheels straight the starter can't even be removed with the heat shield off.

bbig119
04-14-2007, 11:34 PM
I bench tested the starter. There was nothing wrong. Installed the starter this morning. What I also found was I can bolt on the heat shield to the starter and slip it through the opening with the wheel turned wide right. With the wheels straight the starter can't even be removed with the heat shield off.

where does this leave you in getting the beast running? Was this just a precautionary check or do you still have an electrical gremlin hiding in there somewhere?

yaofeng
04-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Too many things going on. Doing the taxes and taking care of my fleet. But I'll get to it.

http://saabnet.com/tsn/bb/9000/index.html?bID=248664

fin
04-16-2007, 10:34 AM
As I had my car on a set of ramps, turning the wheel to the right wouldn't have been an option, in my opinion anyway.

I took my starter completely apart while it was out. I put about two teaspoons of grease inside it (mostly in the planetary gear area), turned down the armature on my South Bend Lathe (everyone should own one) and sanded the brushes smooth. The pilot hole in the end of the shaft wasn't concentric, but wasn't out so much that the springs in brushes couldn't keep up with the eccentric motion. Next time I do one, I will use a steady rest and re-do the pilot hole.

Turns much faster than before. Sounds almost like one of those pneumatic starters on heavy diesel trucks. Glorious starter noises when one turns the key.

Fin