PDA

View Full Version : Removing 535i badge

jjg43
05-04-2004, 09:37 AM
I want to remove the badge from the trunk lid. Anyone know the easiest way?

mholbrook
05-04-2004, 09:44 AM
Hammer and chisel or chainsaw.

Why on earth would you want to remove the 535 off the back of your fine automobile. You have one of the coveted few E34's out there short of the M5 and you want to make people think it is what....a debadged 525?

Be proud.

Bill R.
05-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Bmw says to use nylon string or yarn coated with dishwashing detergent to saw through the adhesive holding it to the body... Dental floss works as good or better with detergent...

Scott H
05-04-2004, 09:51 AM
I like the clean trunk lid, that's all

Hammer and chisel or chainsaw.

Why on earth would you want to remove the 535 off the back of your fine automobile. You have one of the coveted few E34's out there short of the M5 and you want to make people think it is what....a debadged 525?

Be proud.

Hector
05-04-2004, 10:07 AM
razor blade in there. Then cut the remaining adhesive with the blade followed by a polish. Wasn't easy but the dental floss method Bill mentioned might be easier. Since the emblem had been glued on for so many years the paint underneath it was still like new so you will see a contrast in color between this and the rest of the trunk. You may have to repaint the panel if the contrast stands out too much. It's up to you.

Removing the emblem is kinda in here So Cal. Many Suburban owners remove theirs to make the vehicle look cool giving it a bit of a simplistically aggressive look. This also rids the vehicle of any tacky advertising. This is catching on with car owners as well.

mikey535im
05-04-2004, 10:17 AM
Or as I did by accident. Needed to get to the cabinet in front of the resting place in the garage so had to push the car back just a little,4hours later (end of day) forgetting that I had pushed it back just a smidge hit the garage door button and heard the garage door motor laboring only to find the door resting on top of the rear bumper and the '535' and seperate 'i' on the floor :( . I have yet to reinstall them, but ABSOLUTELY they will go back on.
Mike

TheGeak
05-04-2004, 10:49 AM
One thing i might suggest is to either do it on a VERY warm day after letting the car sit in the sun for a little while, or hitting it up with a hair dryer. eases up the glue a big. You'll also want something to get ride of the gunk thats left on the car. There are a few 'goo-be-gone' style products out there that should work wonderfully.

As for the reason, i have my M5 debadged. Why? 1) Thieves. I dont' want to advertise that i have a specialty BMW. Its bad enough with them just knowing i have a BMW. (bastards stole my roundels 2 or 3 times) 2) I think it gives the trunk lid a 'cleaner' look. So long as you don't go sticking a M5/540/Dinan/Schnitzer badge on there I'm fine with debadging. No where on the outside of my car does it say M5. I don't even have the ///'s. I like the sleeper look.

Martin in Bellevue
05-04-2004, 11:13 AM
I like the clean trunk lid, that's all

Hector
05-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Theft is a good reason.

I remember an acquaintance of mine ragging on me about removing the emblem because he thought I wanted people to believe I had an M5 or 540 when he thought I had a less powerful bimmer. Presumptuous maybe? Nah...

AZ_Jason_S
05-04-2004, 11:35 AM
I used a guitar string, it went through like butter.

mholbrook
05-04-2004, 12:18 PM
OK, so perhaps I was just a little hasty!

Enjoy, it is your car after all.

andyman32
05-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I don't know, I like the way the badge looks. Sharp in contrast with the paint. I guess that the reason I really like the badge, too, is because being a BMW E34 is a great distinction in owning this car, but WHICH E34 is also a distinction. The unindoctinated do not know what the badge means; only BMW owners / afficionados. So, fine. It's not a pissing contest. Every one of these cars has some spectacular strengths and some marked weaknesses. I think the badge just makes it more interesting to look closely every time I see another E34...

Besides, anonymity is all too plentiful these days in other aspects of life. ;)

Unregistered
05-05-2004, 12:33 AM
...not only do I like my 525i badge...guess what my license plates say? yup BMW525I lol!

Scott E
05-05-2004, 01:52 AM
I removed my 535i badge, put on a M-Technic rear bumper cover, license plate filler, and euro trim

http://www.kidkrash.com/gallery/albums/album31/prefest.jpg

zmuff
05-05-2004, 04:35 AM
If you know your Roman numerals, then you can figure out what you're following...works in the rearview mirror too.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/556000-556999/556352_4_full.jpg

Hector
05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
If you know your Roman numerals, then you can figure out what you're following...works in the rearview mirror too.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/4/web/556000-556999/556352_4_full.jpg