PDA

View Full Version : Your Opinion on Repairs?

marven
05-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Hey Guys,
yesterday I had the following work/parts replaced....

Sway Bar Linkage replace
Rotors - front
Pads - front and rear
1 Ujoint in the Drive Shaft replaced and rebalanced
Centre bearing replaced
Tranmission mounts replaced
Front skirt mounted
bought new hubcentric ring and installed
Rim's balanced and mounted
Lower Engine shroud cover bought(used) and mounted

total cost of $1100 tax in Cdn or $846US

I haven't replaced my brake in two rears (yeah I know...)

Do you think I paid too much or it is a fair price....the beast drive perfect now and it was done in one day - considering I don't have another car this was great!

Thx
Marven

George M
05-04-2004, 09:04 AM
would say you paid a fair going rate for having someone else do the job. Why most of replace this stuff ourselves...parts are 1/3 of that.
HTH,
George

Bill R.
05-04-2004, 09:08 AM
one ujoint and rebalancing the driveshaft...Not too many places have that capability so I'm skeptical....

would say you paid a fair going rate for having someone else do the job. Why most of replace this stuff ourselves...parts are 1/3 of that.
HTH,
George

marven
05-04-2004, 10:48 AM
one ujoint and rebalancing the driveshaft...Not too many places have that capability so I'm skeptical....

This is ONLY place that did it....all the local use these guys...

marven
05-04-2004, 10:50 AM
HTH,
George

Agreed george but I am staying with a friend until my house is ready in three weeks. So have no place to do this and only have one car....otherwise could have attempted it.

Thx for your feedback.

TheGeak
05-04-2004, 10:51 AM
i think its a 'fair' price. Not earth shattering or anything to write home to mom about, but it doesnt' look like you got ripped off.

Bill R.
05-04-2004, 10:57 AM
driveshaft are not considered replaceable.. bmw sells you a new driveshaft.
There are specialty driveshaft shops that make a business out of removing these permanent ujoints then machining the necessary circlip groove or other changes needed in the driveshaft yokes in order to put replaceable ujoints in.
Then balancing is done on special balancers which spin the driveshaft up to speed and then identify the heavy or light spots where weights are welded to the driveshaft to balance the assy...Not too many independant repair shops have this capability. And none of the dealers do. Thats why almost all repair shops just install a rebuilt driveshaft that has been rebuilt by one of the driveline rebuilders. This is one of the rebuilders in the US
(http://www.driveshafts.com/)

This is ONLY place that did it....all the local use these guys...

TheGeak
05-04-2004, 11:00 AM
yeah, replacing driveshafts suck. don't get me started!

winfred
05-04-2004, 11:45 AM
ditto, i see and sell quite a few shafts to people who have had a joint replaced, usually it's not centered in the yoke

driveshaft are not considered replaceable.. bmw sells you a new driveshaft.
There are specialty driveshaft shops that make a business out of removing these permanent ujoints then machining the necessary circlip groove or other changes needed in the driveshaft yokes in order to put replaceable ujoints in.
Then balancing is done on special balancers which spin the driveshaft up to speed and then identify the heavy or light spots where weights are welded to the driveshaft to balance the assy...Not too many independant repair shops have this capability. And none of the dealers do. Thats why almost all repair shops just install a rebuilt driveshaft that has been rebuilt by one of the driveline rebuilders. This is one of the rebuilders in the US
(http://www.driveshafts.com/)