PDA

View Full Version : Steering Fluid Eats Bushings!!

Renman
04-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Not really a newsflash here...I recently repaired my leaky power steering hose that had been slowly leaking for several months. I didn't realize that it was apparently leaking on my upper control arm bushing. Replaced those this afternoon and could not believe how eaten up the driver side bushing was.
If you have a fluid leak...better check your rubber stuff below it!!! Cheers.

Bimmer Nut Ed
04-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the info Ren. Always thought that maybe the oil on the rubber would protect it, keep it from drying out. Good to know thats not the fact....

BimmerMeUp
04-03-2007, 11:05 AM
It also can eat the rubber grommets that are used on brake fluid reservoir to master cylinder connection which then results in a brake fluid leak, which then melts the paint on the brake booster and all metal parts below. If I ever see the PO of my project touring, there'll definitely be some explaining to do....

bmwrp8
04-03-2007, 11:24 AM
thanks for the info..i'm having a power steering fluid leak for the past month and i'll be fixing it by next week,i'll take a look at the bushing also tnx.

Phatty5BMW
04-03-2007, 04:39 PM
Yes no doubt. I am going to check tomarrow.Mine leaks as well. I can't tonite because i'm heading out to door to the Eric Clapton concert !!! Gotta Go!!!

Pat

e34musician
05-26-2007, 10:17 PM
I thought it was engine oil. It turns out to be PS fuild. Yeah, my thrust arm and swaybar bushing on the driver side are eaten up pretty bad. That sucks!

I got to fix the slow leak before putting the new arms in. I temporary stuff a lot of shop paper towels and hold them with some plastic straps on the subframe to absorb the fuild - this helps keep my drive way clean for now:)

How did you repair PS leak on yours? New hoses? Is it DIY item? I heard nothing but PITA for V8 PS hoses replacement

Not really a newsflash here...I recently repaired my leaky power steering hose that had been slowly leaking for several months. I didn't realize that it was apparently leaking on my upper control arm bushing. Replaced those this afternoon and could not believe how eaten up the driver side bushing was.
If you have a fluid leak...better check your rubber stuff below it!!! Cheers.