PDA

View Full Version : 535 M30 MANN oil filter....

BFEINZIMER
04-01-2007, 11:16 PM
When you guys do your oil changes, does the new filter only go on with a considerable amount of force after about the half way point? The part is correct I ordered 4 from BAVAUTO, double checked the part, with them, realoem, and my indy, me or my auto shop teacher couldent figure out hwy it went on so tight,, the old filer was an aftermarket oil canister...???

Adnan
04-01-2007, 11:58 PM
When you guys do your oil changes, does the new filter only go on with a considerable amount of force after about the half way point? The part is correct I ordered 4 from BAVAUTO, double checked the part, with them, realoem, and my indy, me or my auto shop teacher couldent figure out hwy it went on so tight,, the old filer was an aftermarket oil canister...???

Hi,

I find that the tightening force is very linear, once the bolt snugs up to the cover. Have you checked that the threads on the center bolt are in good shape and that it screws in fine without the cover in place? Is the bolt perfectly straight?

Can't think of any other possibilities, assuming you have the correct thickness crush washer...

Regards,
Adnan

BigKriss
04-01-2007, 11:59 PM
mine goes on easily, no force required.

Alexlind123
04-02-2007, 12:18 AM
mine goes on easily, no force required.

Same here.

632 Regal
04-02-2007, 12:37 AM
mine definetly has force too but it seems to loosen up over several oil changes. I just got a new dildo and it is tight again to the point that you need to smack it all the way on.

Robin-535im
04-02-2007, 01:05 AM
I think know exactly what you mean. IIRC, there are two types, a metal ended one and a fabric-ended one. I have never been able to get the metal one to fit, I thought I read somewhere there is something you have to remove or replace on the oil cannister to get it to fit perhaps?

I just ask for the non-metal ones, and they fit just fine. The others won't go on right and I don't want to crank down hard on my poor cannister nut. Maybe someone has some true wisdom on the issue?

BFEINZIMER
04-02-2007, 02:15 AM
haha all of the replies dont exactly fit my problem, and jeffs is pondering me

the mann is a paper with a plastic center, i place it in the canister, and about halfway in, it requires considerable force to get it in or out, even with some grease onthe center rod thing and in the plastic inner of the filter...hmm?

BillionPa
04-02-2007, 02:26 AM
.... no it does not, only when screwing the cap back on should it require any force.

632 Regal
04-02-2007, 11:59 AM
it should be snug and hard to pop the final 1/2 inch or so. The filter with the plastic is the new style that needs the center support (dildo). Like Billion said you can just tighten the cap to get the final 1/2 inch to seat.

haha all of the replies dont exactly fit my problem, and jeffs is pondering me

the mann is a paper with a plastic center, i place it in the canister, and about halfway in, it requires considerable force to get it in or out, even with some grease onthe center rod thing and in the plastic inner of the filter...hmm?

Jon K
04-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I <3 drop ins

Derek A.
04-02-2007, 01:01 PM
M30 filters are drop ins. Never had a figment issue at all. You might have got a bad batch from the manufacturer.

BFEINZIMER
04-07-2007, 02:18 PM
still no answer to my issue...jeff what was more of that dildo **** you were taking about?

this is the filter im putting in:
http://www.bimmerdoc.com/images/photos/57.jpg

632 Regal
04-07-2007, 03:46 PM
yep thats the new style filter that needs the dildo.
#19, should all be the same for all models but check to be sure.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1090&hg=11&fg=30

BFEINZIMER
04-07-2007, 06:46 PM
yep thats the new style filter that needs the dildo.
#19, should all be the same for all models but check to be sure.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HE23&mospid=47406&btnr=11_1090&hg=11&fg=30

unless its universial thats not for my car...i see what you mean by dildo..

i got a center support (from bruno's site:)
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Data/canister2.jpg

but this is my car:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=11_0480&hg=11&fg=30

so how would i remove the old metal pole to put in the dildo?

Jimbo
04-07-2007, 07:11 PM
still no answer to my issue

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have used both the Mann and the Mahle filters over the years. I can't remember which is which, but one of them would fit quite loosely around the center support, while the other would take a decent amount of force to shove on and fit very snuggly. It never required so much force that I was afraid of breaking anything, but it took a good shove. I have never had any problems or noticed any adverse effects with either, but I have always wondered why they seem to be built to such different specifications.

genphreak
04-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I know exactly what you are talking about. I have used both the Mann and the Mahle filters over the years. I can't remember which is which, but one of them would fit quite loosely around the center support, while the other would take a decent amount of force to shove on and fit very snuggly. It never required so much force that I was afraid of breaking anything, but it took a good shove. I have never had any problems or noticed any adverse effects with either, but I have always wondered why they seem to be built to such different specifications.To answer your question without any real answer again... the Mahle ones drop in and locate in the last 3mm or so. I've never used the MANN ones, the thought of using a Dildo each time gives me the willies...

632 Regal
04-07-2007, 08:49 PM
i think the dildo sits inside the pipe area and isnt effected by the larger dildo thing. I looked at the diagram of your carbut dont understand why it doesnt have the updated dildo deal. Hopefully someone else can elaborate on the situation. Personally I dont see why the dildo update cant be used but heh, never know. The main center metal pipe stays in there as the dildo rides it :D

unless its universial thats not for my car...i see what you mean by dildo..

i got a center support (from bruno's site:)
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Data/canister2.jpg

but this is my car:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD23&mospid=47408&btnr=11_0480&hg=11&fg=30

so how would i remove the old metal pole to put in the dildo?

Rus
04-07-2007, 10:42 PM
I used the exact filter that is pictured in this thread in my last oil change. It dropped in with no problem at all. My oil filter canister does not have the plastic spacer either (from past threads it seems that the plastic spacer is V8 engine specific?). Perhaps you received the wrong model filter?

I wonder if THIS (http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=3797&highlight=Mann+oil+filter+plastic+dildo) is where the whole sex-toy analogy got started?

BFEINZIMER
04-07-2007, 11:15 PM
well now im all confused...next oil change ill just snap a bunch of pictures and we'll see what happens..unless we want to have a meet in my driveway lol

632 Regal
04-08-2007, 06:23 AM
OK from what I see your filter just pops in, the dildo is an upgrade for the V8 engines. Looks like you might have the wrong filter after all.

well now im all confused...next oil change ill just snap a bunch of pictures and we'll see what happens..unless we want to have a meet in my driveway lol

Derek A.
04-08-2007, 07:48 AM
Filter looks fine.

Are you sure there is not a remaining rubber sealing ring from the previous filter?

At worst case scenario go to the dealer and get an OEM BMW one, I think those are the MAHLE filters.

D.-

bfd
04-08-2007, 09:12 AM
Filter looks fine.

Are you sure there is not a remaining rubber sealing ring from the previous filter?

At worst case scenario go to the dealer and get an OEM BMW one, I think those are the MAHLE filters.

D.-

For my 90 535i, 5 spd, 112K miles, I use nothing but Mahle oil filters, p/n OX41D, it comes with the corrrect gasket/o-ring kit that is EXACTLY the same as the OE filter kit. At $3.50 each, its a bargain!

quan98
04-09-2007, 09:38 PM
where do you get them @ $3.50 ea.?