PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems

Mr. BILL
03-31-2007, 09:53 PM
My son called this evening to say his '90 525 iA quit on him while driving. He said the lights went out and then the engine quit.

LAst week, he had a failure of the wipers, radio, sunroof and a few other items. The fine folks here suggested it could be the fusable link. Sure enough it was.

I haven't gone to check on the car. I thought (hoped) I might get some more good suggestions on this. I don't know if the lights went dim, then the engine quit, as in the belt on the alt broke or if any warning lights came on before it quit.

Also, he had a problem with the power windows not working before he left. I went to check them and they rolled up just fine. Finally, we have had a LOT of rain lately here in Texas.

Any preliminary suggestins would be appreciated.

Jon K
03-31-2007, 10:03 PM
His alternator could be less than adequate and the battery not charging fully? Hard to say without more information.

Mr. BILL
04-01-2007, 01:35 PM
OK, I checked it out last night. When I got there, the car was dead as a door nail. No lights of any kind. I looked under the hood, belts OK. I remembered that when I changed the fusable link, I had a hell of a time disconnecting the neg cable. Also, the cable is frayed at the clamp. I had to use vise grips to get it off and on.

Anyway, I juggled the neg cable clamp/wire and it started right up and I drove it home without issue.

I'm thinking the wonky neg cable is the cause.

Anyone concur?

Thanks

632 Regal
04-02-2007, 02:03 AM
I would fix that problem before looking further.

OK, I checked it out last night. When I got there, the car was dead as a door nail. No lights of any kind. I looked under the hood, belts OK. I remembered that when I changed the fusable link, I had a hell of a time disconnecting the neg cable. Also, the cable is frayed at the clamp. I had to use vise grips to get it off and on.

Anyway, I juggled the neg cable clamp/wire and it started right up and I drove it home without issue.

I'm thinking the wonky neg cable is the cause.

Anyone concur?

Thanks