PDA

View Full Version : Has Anyone Ever Tried This?!?!?!?!

BMW4LIFE
03-30-2007, 04:09 AM
http://www.bmw4life.com/ping.htm

what are the pros and cons?

details please....thanks!

Alpinewhite
03-30-2007, 05:32 AM
http://www.bmw4life.com/ping.htm

what are the pros and cons?

details please....thanks!

Not to steel this thread. I have some doubts in the same line but M60 specific. I am using 93 octane and drive small distances in my M60 is it advisible to do this procedure? And which vaccum line to use in M60 for this?

Thanks
Arun

525SEI BRIT
03-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Not to steel this thread. I have some doubts in the same line but M60 specific. I am using 93 octane and drive small distances in my M60 is it advisible to do this procedure? And which vaccum line to use in M60 for this?

Thanks
Arun

I'll second this, Yes or No?... mines an M60 4.0 though running 95 Ron.(UK/Europe) should i spend the extra on 98?

repenttokyo
03-30-2007, 09:22 AM
I did this regulary on my 32 valve Cobra V8, with a product called Sea Foam. It does make a big difference.

Boom n Zoom
03-30-2007, 10:10 AM
I have done it in the past to other cars, the best was a badly worn 6 cylinder falcon that I had as a second year apprentice. I got a small tin of BonAmi mixed it with a litre of warm water. Got the engine hot set the fast idle to fastest ;) poured in through the carby the BonAmi/Water mix then ran a hose in it at a trickle for 10 mins, then dumped the oil and filter. It stopped using as much oil, was only getting through a liter every 5-6000kms instead of the liter every day it had been (for a 100 km round trip to work and back) worked a treat on that car I drove it until I finished my apprenticeship with no problems, but that was an old cast iron block and head, pushrod engine.

I have heard of the sea foam but not the kleens, not that it matters. Like the artical states doing this is cheaper than pulling heads for a decoke. My biggest worry would be the contamination of the cleaner that will get by the rings into the oil, with it sitting overnight this 'could' cause a problem later on with bearings and the like even with the oil and filter change. Then again it may well be fine and there are not any detrimental long term effects.

As for running a higher Ron fuel. I would recommend it. I use BP Ultimate as it is very clean (BP Fuel has always been really clean in Australia, even back in the Super and Standard days of Leaded petrol (Ahhh Tetraethylead, light gray/ honey tan exhausts mean everything was all good under the hood)

The reving part is always good to do on occasion, Find somewhere quiet, lock that transmission into 2nd, ASC off (to get that secondary butterfly to open) and let it rev, great time to find the limiter, it will be there, you just have to have to courage to find it :D
No it's not going to hurt anything as long as you don't hold it on the limiter for and extended period, that would be tandamount to asking for trouble.

I know the M engined Sixes sound brilliant, but you get your M60 spinning hard under WOT and tell me that doesn't sound just as good! It's a little more gutteral is all.

If that doesn't move you ................ check your wrist for a pulse.

:)

My 0.02 cents

Cheers!

P.S. 525SEI Brit. That sig picture is really very very nice. :)

DanDombrowski
03-30-2007, 10:33 AM
This is known as chinese water torture in the Volvo world. Yes, its been tried. I've also seen "Seafoam" used for this.

I have 2 bottles of seafoam and 4 cars waiting to do this on, but havent tried it yet.

Boone.Msi
03-30-2007, 10:55 AM
Im not gonna risk it with my nikasil... I also run 93 octane since the day i bought it, its only a couple dollars more and it does make a difference.

BMW4LIFE
03-31-2007, 12:32 AM
i have also heard of sea foam as well....the thing is though does the amount of mileage and wear the engine matter?

im just afraid that the cons out weigh the pros =/

what to do....what to do?!