PDA

View Full Version : Help

shimmo
03-29-2007, 04:23 PM
Hiya all
Driving back from London today, my baby started to warm up... the temp gauge went up to three quarters, then back to normal then up again, i pulled her over and she cut out... steam came from under bonnet, so i sat and let her cool, after she cooled i got on my way and all seemed fine, then the temp started to rise again, it got just over the three quarter so i pulled over again, and she again cut out, this time she wouldn't start.. nothing at all wouldn't even turn the engine when i turned key.. sat and let her cool and still nothing, i called the Rescue service and the fella said it was prob the starter motor (even though i explained the temp rising)so he hooked me up and towed me home. journey was about half hour, when we arrived and started to unload, i reached in through the window turned the key and she started on the button, the coolant level warning flashed up, so i have parked her up ready to refill in the morning. i have noticed that she now makes a strange noise when i fire her up. i was wondering if anyone knows why she done this, is there a shut down facility in her brain to save her from death when overheating.... im worried Ive hurt her, and im gonna take her to get checked out, but im mystified about this non starting..

Thanks for reading,

Paul

spyrot1
03-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Do a search... you'll find plenty of info.

Martin in Bellevue
03-29-2007, 04:39 PM
Gotta find where the coolant is going.

Jehu
03-29-2007, 05:07 PM
I was going to mention My Chevy van which died last week. Similar in that the temp was fluctuating but coolant was disappearing without leaking so i surmised i had a fatal head gasket leak. I needed to drive it home so i kept adding coolant but the temp would rise after a half hour or so again eventually in the evening , in a blizzard on the way home i turned into a parking lot and realizing i was about to get stuck in this unplowed lot i floored the gas pedal, the tires spun for a moment then the engine cut out.I surmised the engine had seized ,whatever happened.The oil was diluted with coolant so the high revs i guess resulted in something fusing.. so anyway, there's that... hope you're in better shape.. If your coolant level isn't falling or you see it leaking that would probably be better like a dead water pump but not being familiar enough with these engines i can't begin to guess why it wouldn't restart.The similarity with my Chevy experience prompted me to mention it..

525SEI BRIT
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Hi Paul,

1st question, were the vent blowing hot air? if not this is the first indicator of air in the system possibly due to a head gasket leak. however not definitive due to the way it happened!

2nd did clouds of steam poor out of the exhaust? coolant in the chambers.

the lose off coolant is probably cos its just boiled over, but check for leaks anyway!

as you were driving in London (probably in traffic) the temp rising could quit easily be as simple as the fan clutch my 525 used to get hot in traffic as there isn't sufficient air flowing through the rad.

top the coolant up, check the vents for hot air, bled if necessary, and book her into somewhere like BMWORX for diagnostics in Aylesbury. Keep the blower on full and 28 should make it!

The starting issue could be heat soak into the starter solinode. im currently experimenting with a kinda Alloy heat sink attached to the starter. no conclusive results yet!

best of luck.

525SEI BRIT
04-03-2007, 05:34 AM
How did you get on?

shimmo
04-14-2007, 11:35 AM
Hiya all...
Sorry for delay in getting back, work been a bit heavy atm... anyway my baby will be back on the road soon, i have had time today to check her out, she starts and runs good, the water is leaking from the water pump area, i gonna have a go of whipping her off tomorrow.. am searching the site now to find any help with this operation.. will post and let you know how i get on.

Paul