PDA

View Full Version : looking at buying e34 525i m20 need help

wyze
03-28-2007, 02:17 AM
alright well, i'm thinking of buying an e34 545i w/m20 engine

the body is in decent shape, alpine white, tinted windows, lowered, stock bottle caps, grill is painted white, black leather interior, skibag etc...

!-- but what bothers me it the fact that the oil smells like it has gas in it, and well apparently the car hasn't run in over a year, and the coolant expansion tank still had some pressure in it when i opened the cap --!
(should i be worried?)

i wasn't able to start the car because there was no starter and the battery was dead, so i can't tell if the exhaust is white

aside from that the car needs an alternator, brakes/discs and i'm sure a caliper rebuild

ohh and the bmw toolkit was full of water, the rear door seals aren't on properly

but at least the fog lights aren't cracked!!, lol

also if it's not too much to ask, would an e36 m50 engine be a direct swap, i have one laying around, and i'ld like to get my e30 running soon

thanks!!

wyze
03-28-2007, 02:21 AM
ohh, i'll post pics tommorow, i'll make sure to bring my cam with me!!

i also found a set of ssr gt3 wheels 19" for 2900$ with tires

front 235/35/19
rear 255/30/19

bolt : 5x120
offset: 43mm

would they fit?

BillionPa
03-28-2007, 03:55 AM
dont touch those wheels.

as for the car, ask if you can sample the oil from the crankcase, and send it off to blackstone labs. they will be able to tell you if there is excess fuel, water, or coolant in the oil before you even buy the car. and they can tell you if there is abnormal wear metals like iron and aluminum in there.

E34-520iSE
03-28-2007, 04:19 AM
I hope that car is going for cheap $. I don't think many people would touch it so you'll be doing the guy a favour by taking it off his hands. Offer him $50....

Cheers,

Shaun M

Ross
03-28-2007, 08:15 AM
2nd

Dave M
03-28-2007, 08:38 AM
If this is going cheap, and I mean cheap, you might have a good project car, especially if you plan to swap in the M50. The e36 M50 will fit, but will need an oil pan and engine mounts (possible re-threading of the M50 threads on the block). Otherwise its a straight fit.

Oh, and the 19" wheels will make the car even s lo w e r ;)

Dave

wyze
03-28-2007, 09:12 AM
actually i think napa sells a test kit as well, to check for the prescence of something in coolant

i figured the car is going to be slow, but i'm thinking of having if for just a cruiser(i've got my e30 for racing;)

would the ssr rims, not fit, or would the car be just too slow?