PDA

View Full Version : Restoring Style 5s

shanek
03-27-2007, 11:19 PM
I just picked up a set of Style 5s that are in not so great shape. The clear is pealing in a few spots. How hard is it to take these apart and put them back together? I'd like to get them refinished with a polished lip, but the wheel shop quoted $250 a wheel. If I could take them apart myself it would cost less than half that. I know somebody on here did it but I can't find the thread.
Thanks,
Shane

bimmerd00d
03-28-2007, 12:25 AM
IanBMW did it on bimmerfest for his E39. Check the 5-series forum on bimmerfest.com

BimmerMeUp
03-28-2007, 07:56 AM
Here's a link to someone who did their own at RoadFly:
http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/e39/forum.php?postid=3148502

Morgenster
03-28-2007, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hijack on this thread, but do 15 inch style 5's take 195/65 tyres?
I could get my hands on those for a small price but It'd be stupid to throw away new tires (90% thread) if they don't fit.
Believe it or not, it would be un upgrade from the fugly metal wheels I have now.

Kalevera
03-28-2007, 01:23 PM
They're fairly simple to dismantle. 12 point M8s. You may want a press to remove the centers, it's a tight fit and it's not a wise idea to go banging away on it with a hammer, even with a buffer...

My machine shop did all four for less than $150, the exact price isn't clear in my mind at the moment. Shop around, my shop has a specific machine for polishing wheels (and they came out great). Much better than a guy polishing them by hand.

BuckNaked
03-28-2007, 06:02 PM
That's an odd size. Your speedo (http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html) will be off...
I think the OEM for the 15's was 235/60/15.

jeffnj525it
03-28-2007, 06:23 PM
Turn the wheel upside down and place on a few folder towels, a 12 point 10 mm socket will work on the nuts perfectly, but a point 10 mm socket will not. After removing the nuts, use a small punch to knock out each bolt. Then use a hammer and a small 2x4 and carefully knock out the center.

shanek
03-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Thanks everyone! I appreciate all your help. I took them in today to get them balanced and they are all bent. One is not bad, one is bad and the other two are really bad. Fountain tire says they should be able to fix them but they have to dismount the tires and check them to make sure. I'm going to have to reinstall my winters and drop off the loose wheels. I guess my Ebay luck had to run out sometime. At least the tires are good.

SC David
03-28-2007, 07:34 PM
You're sure the wheels are bent and the tires aren't just misbalanced? It's pretty hard to bend Style 5's...especially to bend them badly. One of mine has a little bend in the inner lip, but it doesn't effect the balancing. That had to be a ridiculously hard hit too, since I hit bad potholes nearly daily here in the city.