PDA

View Full Version : 535i/735i(e32) M30 complete overhaul questions.

Makaveli2k
03-27-2007, 08:52 PM
I've been reading the bentley manual for the complete overhaul. I think I'm just going to look into diassembling the fascia panels and pulling the engine and tranny straight out(backward towards me) I was just wondering because this is my first time overhauling an engine and tranny. As long as I follow the bentley I should be fine? Also is there any special tools that is needed in order to make this all work smoothly?
For example is there any special sockets I should be looking into before I get down to business?

Also just to make sure what kind of sockets are we looking at. It would be really helpful if somebody could list them and to what part they would be mated with.
LMK
-Dan

Jeff N.
03-29-2007, 12:16 AM
What are you trying to do? Pull the engine and tranny?

Bentley is fine for instructions.

Special tools? Umm, hmm. Well, depends what cha already got in the kit mate! Here's a couple that you might wanna look into

- star drive sockets for the tranny to bellhousing bolts.
- you'll need something an angle torque gauge for the head bolts
- a 32 mm bike wrench is the shizzle for removing the fan clutch
- a 32..hmm...or is that 36 mm socket for the crank nut (have fun - 325 ft/lbs)
- clutch alignment tool + hex drive sockets for the pressure plate
- for your engine hoist, get a tipper - very helpful. Not sure what you're saying about how you want to pull it out but you'll need a hoist for sure.

Yuppers. This ought to get you started. Have fun.

bill g
03-29-2007, 02:58 AM
Yep - 36mm socket for crank nut.

Bill G

Dave M
03-29-2007, 04:43 AM
Sounds like an in-depth project. Two things:

1) If you're intending to 'rebuild/refresh' the top and bottom end, as well as fiddle with your tranny (auto??), the Bentley will not be adequate. Bentley does not thoroughly address the bottom end or, for the layman, auto trannies. Its great for pulling an engine, headgaskets, top end stuff, but lacking when it comes to crankcase/pistons/rings etc.

2) Tool-wise, you need to tell us how far you're going with this. To pull the motor, relatively simple tools are required. To mess with you head :D, specialized cam/valve tools are required. I recommend you bring the head to a qualified machine shop, then you just pick it up in good running order. Bottom end work will require a huge, preferably 3/4" breaker bar (36mm socket) just to crack the ~400 ft/lb nut to start the job. Then you'll need piston ring tools, cylinder bore gauge, hone etc. With some advice, this part is very DIY, but may be worth handing to someone else if you're at all hesitant. If its an auto tranny, I wouldn't crack a single bolt unless you or a helper have done it before. Take it somewhere.

Don't mean to be a wet blanky, let us know your intentions.

Dave

winfred
03-29-2007, 08:20 AM
why if you don't mind me asking would you be bothering with the bottom end of a m30, unless you broke it? they just don't wear out, the head usually needs work around 200k miles if the gasket hasn't failed yet but the shortblock usually out lives the car even when boosted

Makaveli2k
03-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Oh yes, I thought nobody was actually interested so I kind of turned a blind eye to this thread a little bit. anyway I've been reading a couple of forums for a while and regarding the crank nut, I basically asked a few questions from a fellow that wrote a thread on an engine overhaul. I thought the crank nut needed to be removed to remove the engine. so now I've eliminated that.

My plans are to remove the engine and tranny for now. I'm assuming it would be much easier to assess all the different tools needed and would probably be easier to work on with the engine out.

They way the other guy did it was he dis assambled the whole front panel of his 535i and pulled the motor out with out a load leveler. This is the route I plan on taking because I don't want to drop the tranny and the engine seperatley.

BTW I'm tired so im sure there are many gramatical errors and spelling mistakes. please feel free to let me know if anything is unclear

Dave M
03-30-2007, 06:00 AM
You'd be amazed at what interests us ;)

Pulling the tranny and engine separately is not much more difficult or time consuming. By the time you configure your hoist system and rip the front end of your car apart, you'd have the tranny out. So, unless you have other things to address in the front end (rad support, bumper, lights, AC components etc.) I would at least consider doing it separately. Also, think about how much room you have to work in and what type of hoist you have accesss to. If room is limited or you don't a hoist that can move tilt the assembly to allow extraction, yanking both out the front might be made more difficult.

Just some thoughts,

Dave