PDA

View Full Version : replaced sunroof gasket found rust!!

Russell
03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Removed my sunroof to replace the gasket and found rust on the underside of the sunroof. it was most prelevant on the front edge of the sunroof but there was some on the sides and rear. It had only begun to act on the inner skin and not the outer "painted" edge.

My scraped it off and painted two layers of Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer which penetrates rust and "seals" it. It goes on white and turns black as it does its job. Has sort of an acid smell. I sure hope I have stopped it. Is this a common problem with the E34?

Replaced the gasket with no issue, had to trim the end slightly. Seem much tighter with a little lower wind noise.

Actually I did have an issue. As a reward for fixing the sunroof, my car made the battery die.:) I guess runnning the sunroof motors to adjust the sunroof was too much for a 6 year old Douglas BMW branded replacement battery. Guess what the vent tube was not connected. Why, there was no vent?? And it was installed by a dealer per the previous owner.

Anyway, I went with Duralast 49_DL everyone swears by. Only issue is the vent tube is too short.I will need to extend it. Just thought I would share.