PDA

View Full Version : Suspension Parts List help

txp135
03-26-2007, 03:04 PM
I've learned a lot from you guys so far. Thank you. The problem however is that when I tried to read everything about suspension on here, I could not sort them out as to which infos are the latest and greatest. So before I order the parts, please help me make sure that I didn't screw up or miss some thing. Also need suggestions for parts that are better than stock.

-M-tech springs - Need part #s for these. The window sticker for the car mentioned that I have the M-technic suspension as stock (not sure if they are the exact same springs as the sport model). The reason I'm considering ordering a new set of springs is because the concensus is that old parts will speed up the demise of new parts. So since I'm planning to keep the car for as long as I can, I'm trying to replace all the necessary components.

FRONT:

-Control arm Left: 31 12 1 139 991 - $78.00 Lemforder - lock nuts are included

-Control arm Right: 31 12 1 139 992 - $78.00 Lemforder - lock nuts are included

-thrust arms (M5) - Lemforder w/M5 bushings pressed in $130.00 each

-spring pads (thanks Bob)

REAR:
-Pitman arms (for rear of car) - $49.00 each Lemforder

-Idler arms - Lemforder w/bushings - $40.00

-Subframe "Mounts" # - 33-3-1-129-760 - $30.00 each Lemforder/Boge

-rear shock mounts - 33 52 1 132 270 - $23.50 Boge

-spring pads (thanks Bob)

RallyD
03-26-2007, 03:44 PM
the eibach springs would be much more cost effective than the m-tech
they also have a specific part number for the m60/m30 engined cars.

springs control the ride height, your car doesn't appear to sag in the rear and sits nicely. The shocks, on the other hand, wear more quickly and if you are going "in there" then it would be wise to replace them. I am contemplating whether to go with the KYB (cheapo) or wait and get the Bilstein's which are much better but cost twice as much. The shocks are important because they quell the unnecessary movement of the suspension components during compression and rebound. Worn shocks will cause bounce. Push down on the fender and release it. If the car comes up and continues to move, its time for new shocks. It's not a Buick :\

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-26-2007, 03:58 PM
front & rear

pick up the 3mm fronts if you want a little more drop.

txp135
03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
I thought that bounce test couldn't be done on BMWs. Opinions are few and far for the 540i as far as springs, that's why I decided to go with oe stuff because I don't want the car to ride rougher. According to this...

http://www.bmw4life.com/shocksSpringsGuide.htm

The eibach are 2nd hardest riding next to the H&R.

Do the 3mm spring pads affect the quality of the ride or longevity of other components? Thanks.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
IDo the 3mm spring pads affect the quality of the ride or longevity of other components? Thanks.

on the ride with the spring pads, just an added 6mm lower in the front.

I got eibachs, they ride nice and take the pot holes and speeds bumps nicely with the progressive rate spring

BillionPa
03-26-2007, 04:27 PM
you dont need 3mm spring pads with the Eibachs, the drop is PERFECT.

i am running Eibach/Bilstein HD and the ride is indeed harsh, but the car handles like its on rails, and thats with my crappy stock wheel/tire combo!

of course the swaybars help tremendously, so dont forget those, and do indeed get new shocks while you replacing everything else.

3mm spring pads might make bumps a bit shakier, and if you have rough roads, stick to stock, but be sure to order new ones.

txp135
03-28-2007, 07:47 PM
Thank you all.

I found out that the 540i 6speed already has M-tech swaybars. I desperately need the stock springs and the OE shocks part#. I can't find them. Decided to stick with the stock suspension because I'm not really good with making adjustments or tune the suspension.

SC David
03-28-2007, 08:10 PM
the eibach springs would be much more cost effective than the m-tech
they also have a specific part number for the m60/m30 engined cars.

springs control the ride height, your car doesn't appear to sag in the rear and sits nicely. The shocks, on the other hand, wear more quickly and if you are going "in there" then it would be wise to replace them. I am contemplating whether to go with the KYB (cheapo) or wait and get the Bilstein's which are much better but cost twice as much. The shocks are important because they quell the unnecessary movement of the suspension components during compression and rebound. Worn shocks will cause bounce. Push down on the fender and release it. If the car comes up and continues to move, its time for new shocks. It's not a Buick :\I'm gonna say save your pennies for the Bilsteins. I have KYB's with H&R sport springs and the ride is nice and comfy, and feels like stock until you hit a bad dip and have to hear the god awful crunch of your car bottoming out. This happens particularly easily while cornering hard. Now, if you're only going to be driving on smooth highways and well kept suburban roads, you'll be just fine. But if your car has to endure the treacherous city streets with 4" raised iron planks covering areas under constant construction, baby eating potholes, and hills that might as well be called cliffs as mine does, you will be wishing you had a firmer shock.

SC David
03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Thank you all.

I found out that the 540i 6speed already has M-tech swaybars. I desperately need the stock springs and the OE shocks part#. I can't find them. Decided to stick with the stock suspension because I'm not really good with making adjustments or tune the suspension.It doesn't require any tuning unless you're getting the Koni adjustable shocks, which can be turned to harder and softer levels if you wish. If you're going to be spending the money on new parts, I say do some upgrades and lower your car with Eibach/H&R/Vogtland, and pair them with some Konis/Bilsteins/Sachs. You really can't go wrong with any of those choices. The only reason not to would be if you like the stock ride, and don't want a little bit of a harsher ride in turn for a phenomenal change in handling and appearance.

txp135
03-28-2007, 09:52 PM
The 540i 6sp already has sport suspension and already rides harder than other models(it's also lowered). It comes with the same suspension as the M540i except the rear is not Self Levelling. It suppose to have the M-tech sways already.

I do like a nice ride and I tried to read up on all the springs/shocks you mentioned. I just don't know how they really compare to the sport suspension. Some people have to adjust camber or they end up with bad tires. Most people will just talk about how their new suspension give their car an aggressive stance, or how slammed it looks, or how well it takes on corners. And a lot of them actually like a firmer ride.

It's not until months later that they will figure out that their tires are through and/or they bottomed out. I've tried to check with 540 owners and they all seem to agree that I should keep the stock suspension.

Anyone here uses "Grunts bushings"? Recommend them over Lemforders?