PDA

View Full Version : OT: What do you do?

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some help. I am an apprentice plumber and I no longer enjoy working in the trade and would like to start a different career. I understand that I need to go back to college, what I am doing is looking for ideas for a career I would be good at, so if you guys could help me out, tell me what you do, etc I would greatly appreciate it. Military service is NOT an option for personal reasons.

Herb
03-25-2007, 04:23 PM
Go Army... JK. I became an X-ray tech through the Army, on the civilan side it will take about 2yrs, but you will get paid the second year as a student tech (in most places). I work two sixteens on the weekend only (fulltime student durring the week), support a family of four (myself included).
Herb

Macv
03-25-2007, 06:29 PM
I clean carpets.

But it's just a summer job as I'm a senior in highschool. So I guess it doesn't count.

dennyg
03-25-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm a printer but I don't recommend it for anyone young because of technology. One thing I would like to learn and think there is a future in it is wrapping cars. You must be good artist and computer software person also be skilled in placing the film on the cars. It is kind of printing related. Its also a way of working on cars....There is also the old fashioned way.....Marry a rich girl lol

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 07:24 PM
My girl is near the end of her second year at wayne state, shes going to be a high school music director. so she aint gonna be rich...lol, but shes doin what she loves

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 07:26 PM
That's not a bad idea. I'm leaning towards being a paramedic, but I know their hours suck and they dont get paid that great considering what they do. What does an xray tech do?

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 07:27 PM
I know someone who owns a carpet cleaning business...maybe I can see if he could use some help. In michigan there isnt squat for work.

rickm
03-25-2007, 07:54 PM
indie:

what do YOU want to do? they say "do what you love and the money will follow". not sure how true it is but find something that you enjoy doing and eventually things will work themselves out.

you could work for a supply house, it's indoor work.

other ideas are nursing - busy, can be a burnout job but the money can be ok. PT/RT/OT assistants do ok also.

If you're really bored you could mow my lawn. :D

ApproachingZero
03-25-2007, 08:06 PM
your gf goes to Wayne State? How close are you to Ypsilanti? I had no idea i lived so close...cool.

Yep, Michigan blows...... I work for Pfizer in Ann Arbor, and they are closing down the site.

I am leaving the end of April for Virginia Beach. That state is ranked 3 for the lowest unemployemnt rate....not 50th.

I personally would steer clear of the paramedic scene. I own a computer repair store with a guy that went to paramedics school. He made $18hr as a security guard sitting on his ass. Average paramedic makes $11, to work nights and deal with really draning things, emotinally/physically.

Keep doing the plumbing till you have enough $$$$ to go back to school. Depending on your age, you could get free money to go back. Work full time, go to school at night, then switch careers.

Herb
03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
As an x-ray tech I take pictures for the doctor so they can diagnose patients. I get paid very well compared to the work I do, a nurse is higher paid but works their ass off, hourly is between $16 and $45 depending what exactly you do - MRI, CT, Regular, Nuclear Med., Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound.

Rick M is 100% right, I love my job and I am pursuing Medschool/Army Physcian Assistant school because I love to do what I do.

Read "48 days to the Work You Love" By Miller (forgot first name). He has a website if you want to google.

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
the problem with plumbing is that theres no work, which is why im switching.
I live in port huron, she lives in sterling heights. i have some family who loves down in ypsi though, my uncle is a cop there.

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 08:46 PM
what kind of schooling am i looking at? obviously theres more to it than just covering somebody up with a lead sheet and pushing a button. what can i get in 2 years?

trumpetr
03-25-2007, 08:55 PM
That's not a bad idea. I'm leaning towards being a paramedic, but I know their hours suck and they dont get paid that great considering what they do. What does an xray tech do?

Im a Paramedic, and I disagree with the sucky hours and pay comment- It actually depends on the area of the country you live in, and if you are working for a private company, or a goverment agency ie a city fire department, or a county agency.

As for the hours, its great- I work eight 24 hr shifts a month, often have 4 or 6 days off between shifts, and the pay range at my agency is 48k to start, and maxes out at the 20 year level, at 78k a year.

Its a great job, if you like people and like to think on your feet.

Good luck--

Art.

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 09:18 PM
The thing that i thought about sucky hours is im sure theres some days where there isnt a whole lot of calls to go out on, but there has to be a few where youre working like a dog for the entire 24 hours. Thats where my concern was, I know what I am like after working like crazy, Im kind of wary of the 24 hour shifts. but what are they like? i might be mistaken

Macv
03-25-2007, 09:33 PM
Carpet Cleaning is hard ass work. I wouldn't have guessed it if I didn't do it. I'm on my hands and knees not only cleaning carpets, but removing/replacing old and molded. I come home with cuts and bruises, but I love it. It's a hard working kick in the ass every day :)

Pays great as well. For me anyways.

Venus4NU
03-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help.

I guess since this is addressed to "guys" that your interest in my occupation (aka career) or opinion is not wanted. Darn.

indierthanthou
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
im interested in all careers, honestly. im looking for ideas. oh, and i changed the first post

winfred
03-25-2007, 10:13 PM
i work on bmws and volvos plus work the salvage yard 5 and a half days a week for the last 10 and a half years, and lately 2-3 nights a week build custom assault rifles at a buddys gun shop for extra cash (14 hour days SUCK) to build the e30 into a monster http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/burnout.gif
da truck will be next http://members.cox.net/wdixon27/smokeout.gif

Venus4NU
03-26-2007, 03:05 PM
im interested in all careers, honestly. im looking for ideas. oh, and i changed the first post

I was only messing with your mind!

I am an English professor at a college. I also substitute teach at the local high school. Love teaching - hate the paperwork.

indierthanthou
03-26-2007, 03:35 PM
I figured you were

ApproachingZero
03-26-2007, 04:46 PM
Im a Paramedic, and I disagree with the sucky hours and pay comment- It actually depends on the area of the country you live in, and if you are working for a private company, or a goverment agency ie a city fire department, or a county agency.

As for the hours, its great- I work eight 24 hr shifts a month, often have 4 or 6 days off between shifts, and the pay range at my agency is 48k to start, and maxes out at the 20 year level, at 78k a year.

Its a great job, if you like people and like to think on your feet.

Good luck--

Art.

What city/state do you work for? If you live in a state that actualy has an economy, i could imagine the pay would be great. Work in michigan, well.....

indierthanthou
03-26-2007, 04:58 PM
haha....yeah, im in the economic hell that is michigan.

Ross
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Don't write off the trades. Earn your stripes, get some business education at night, put down the tools and begin your own business. Plumbers are always in demand, everyone has to.. you know already.
You can charge damn near as much as a doctor.
What is the first thing taught in plumbers school?

Don't chew your fingernails.

fujioko
03-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I was a plumbers assistant for a scab plumber in New York. I learned a lot on the job, however it wasn’t something I wanted to do for the rest of my life. 20 years later, I still do plumbing on the side.

I moved to Michigan for some reason and ended up going to Saint Clair Community Collage right there in Port urine. Got my degree and moved to Southern California. Landed a sweet job as an automotive instrumentation tech. Somehow I got transferred back to Michigan… sigh.

I changed careers slightly about 10 years ago and now I’m more in the industrial and automation side of electronics.

Pay’s Ok at $23/hr plus full benefits and two weeks vacation a year. I show up late and leave early. The only draw back is I’m on 24hr call.

Anyway, electronics is math and theory. If you can do the math and remember stuff, it all makes sense.

markus
03-26-2007, 06:52 PM
yea im in the same boat as you.

i went to automtoive school (UTI in Exton) did mechanic work for a year and got sick of it. Now I work at an auto parts store. I plan on going back to community college this fall. Going to take general studies and see what happens. I think eventually ill find something I really love doing.
One subject I always found interesting was history. And with a history major you can do just about anything. Another thing id look into is computers. They arent going away any time soon. I also would like to open a shop or a bar.

Its hard to decide but eventually you will get an idea. you want to make work not like work but more like fun. and getting paid to have fun is what im after.

indierthanthou
03-26-2007, 07:22 PM
haha...first thing i learned was crap flows downhill, then don't chew your nails

scott540
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
yea im in the same boat as you.

i went to automtoive school (UTI in Exton) did mechanic work for a year and got sick of it. Now I work at an auto parts store. I plan on going back to community college this fall. Going to take general studies and see what happens. I think eventually ill find something I really love doing.
One subject I always found interesting was history. And with a history major you can do just about anything. Another thing id look into is computers. They arent going away any time soon. I also would like to open a shop or a bar.

Its hard to decide but eventually you will get an idea. you want to make work not like work but more like fun. and getting paid to have fun is what im after.

Markus, I have a history major, along with a german major and a philosophy minor. Got sucked into the whole liberal arts, well rounded person thing. I underwrite life insurance now. Pretty good money, I read people's medical histories and financial records to declde how much they are going to pay for a life insurance policy. I don't love the job but it's ok. I work from home so it's flexible. I work 400 miles from our office so I only go in about once a year. Just thought I'd give you an idea of what you can do with a history major,

indierthanthou
03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
hahaha so you escaped from port piss, and got sent right back? man....thats gotta suck. I dont mind plumbing, especially helping out with friends houses and making some money on the side with remodels and such, but I don't want to do it until i shrivel up and die. Theres nothing wrong with it, and I know that plumbers will supposedly be in demand, but I havent worked in close to two months for either company I work for. Even the guy I wash windows with on occasion doesnt have enough work to keep himself afloat, much less kick some money my way. I'm leaning towards x-ray tech or something along those lines in the medical field. 2 years of school, pays good for part time work, and I think I will be good at it. But who knows, maybe a rich uncle will die and I won't have to do anything but mow lawns, and since I'll be a go-zillion-aire, I can mow that grass fo' free

Alexlind123
03-26-2007, 08:20 PM
I work at a motion control and color sensor company, but im a senior in high school and it wont be my career. I plan to become a psychiatrist.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-26-2007, 08:34 PM
at an adult video arcade, if I am lucky I'll get promoted to the "token/change guy" in a few months.

t.wak
03-26-2007, 08:45 PM
I work for two companies, one that focuses more on the retail side of IT, and the other that has to do with the custom design and implementation of high-end home audio, home automation systems, etc.

I really enjoy it, as I'm mostly on the road travelling to clients' houses installing and refining some nice toys. :D

bmwrp8
03-27-2007, 08:06 AM
i'm a city councilman here in the philippines. Right now its election time and i'm running for vice mayor hope for the best..:)

Tiger
03-27-2007, 09:26 AM
Plumber with no work? Hard to believe. Plumber always have job and they get paid very well too that they can retire much earlier than other profession... maybe electrician is in the same boat too.

I am in construction business for now... and I know there is always works for plumbers. I know it myself too. I know it is a tedious job and can be downright boring but it is straightforward system. There are alot of new tech coming out that requires more plumbing than standard fair so that is why I find it hard to believe there is hardly any work.

Tiger
03-27-2007, 09:48 AM
Michigan may not be the richest state but there are alot of old houses and so-called-professional plumbers who botch their job because they don't understand it themselves.

I suggest you put an add in paper for side job in plumbing in addition to your regular job. There are people who would pay you $40 an hour rather than $75 to walk in and $75 per hour afterward. I once had a friend who has a old three handle bathtub faucet... it was simply leaking and need new washers... You know what the plumber charged them? A freaking $450 to repair that. They had insurance who would pay the plumber with deductible but that is aside fromt he point... $450 for one simple job?! He changed the cartridges and that was it.

Tiger
03-27-2007, 09:49 AM
You can also network with independent contractors to see if they have work for you too... They too will pay you straight $30-40 an hour... as long you are cheaper than company and do code-abiding works. Some contractors may balk at this because they are liable under their insurance and license requirements... but there are plenty more who are doing it on the side without license also.

Home Depot and Lowes work requires license... so this is least attractive of all... they don't pay too well compared to your employer. But this is also another source of meeting potential customers.

Tiger
03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I think plumbing is a very solid job with lots of tech coming out where plumbing is very interesting... solar heating, radiant heater, tankless water heaters, recirculator pump for hot water where you enter the room and a motion sensor trigger the pump so the moment you open up the faucet... instant hot water, high tech toilets. Everythings is about efficiency... so if you study up on this... go to school... you really are set for life.

You really have freedom when you do this work... you are not tied to 9-5 job and only two weeks vacation out of a year...

Another thing is ebay business... on plumbing stuff... things you can get real dirt cheap and sells high and as long with shipping is a good discount from retail, people will buy from you.

Another source of income... all those scrap copper, brass, SS and aluminum metals... pays high per pound at scrap metal yard. Being in plumbing biz, these are free money.

indierthanthou
03-27-2007, 10:17 AM
the thing is, i'm trying to get out of plumbing because I don't like it anymore. I don't have enough knowledge yet to do the ad in the paper thing, because I havent worked enough to learn more than replacing an occasional water heater or faucet. I do grab the scrap I can though, but usually the bosses take it.

Ross
03-27-2007, 10:29 AM
If you can tolerate a little cash flow along with the plumbing I suggest offering your service to the local granite coutertop fabricators. A "plumber" often doesn't want to be bothered with such little jobs as installing a single sink and will price these jobs high. This is a problem for some of the stone fabricators here as the customer wants an installed sink of course. I think they would be glad to have someone to recommend or perhaps sub contract with you.
Easy work, just a thought.

Tiger
03-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Great idea on sink part.

Tiger
03-27-2007, 10:49 AM
Oh! Now I see where your skill level are. Damn, your boss is practically keeping you on the bottom level so you can't proceed on your own. Geez... even your boss is that stingy on scraps?! I see this employer is totally wrong for you. He is using you and keeping you at bottom rung.

Okay, I see your delimma now. If I were you, I'd probably go to your local college... see if you are interested in HVAC field. HVAC are also super strong demand. At the same time, see if you are interested in electrical. HVAC will teach you electrical. The thing about HVAC is that it is like 1 year school and you are out on the job so this may be attractive for you. Lincoln Tech and alike are dedicated trade school for HVAC and Auto Mech (I wouldn't go this route... even though I did go to Lincoln Tech for fun...) Local college give you more open environment until you are sure you want to specialize.

Basically what I'd do is go to school, make some money on the side... whatever job... 9-5... you got no choice... as long it is pleasant enough for you but doesn't interfere with your school.

Ferret
03-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Urgh, I work in that dreadded field... IT

Graduated from UMIST in the UK and then joined up with a bunch of other crazy grads to Fujitsu (Services.)

When it's a good day, life's easy and hours are short.

When it's a bad day, expect 95-100 hour weeks >: / ... Though you get well rewarded for it, I managed to clock up $6k overtime in two weeks at the last go-live. (And that's after I've only been in the industry 6 months.)

DaveVoorhis
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm a university lecturer in computing. Reasonably good pay, good hours, relatively low stress...

I supplement my income by doing automotive, motorcycle, electrical, and even plumbing work on the weekends.

ltflint
03-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Find something you enjoy doing. I was the po po for about 12 years and left for more $, better benefits, etc. working in another field. Worked there for about ten months and hated it. Went back to my calling and have been back about a month or so. Couldn't be happier even though I took a major pay cut to go back. Being miserable all week at work sucks.

Jehu
03-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Find something you enjoy doing. I was the po po for about 12 years and left for more $, better benefits, etc. working in another field. Worked there for about ten months and hated it. Went back to my calling and have been back about a month or so. Couldn't be happier even though I took a major pay cut to go back. Being miserable all week at work sucks.

As you're a Law Man, in TN i was reminded of an incident way back about 24 years ago when i was driving across country.I was coming thru Nashville and i guess i liked that long sweeping ,curving slope on the Interstate a little too much and the State Police pulled me over.When upon reading my License and seeing i was from Massachusetts he said they didn't ticket out of state drivers... i wondered if that really was a policy or if it was just my lucky day.I thanked him and headed on for San Diego..

dave b
03-27-2007, 06:06 PM
In my brief career (10 years), I've found that if you enjoy something, you will put more effort into it, therefore you will be better at it. The better you are at something, the more money you will earn.

All of this is within reason and reality. Someone still has to be willing to pay you to do the things that you are good at.

More education never hurts, but more debt from education can.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

db