PDA

View Full Version : My e34 is no more :(

ilya
03-24-2007, 06:37 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was in a car accident in southern California while driving my 525i. An old lady decided to pull a U-turn on red so I ran right into her, head on. SHe and her insurance claimed full liability, so at least I ended up getting something out of it ($6100). But I'm now in a hunt for a new car. I dont think i'll be buying another e34 right now, even though they're within the price range, mainly due to the expensive maintenance (I'm still in college).

Check out the pics

Paul in NZ
03-24-2007, 06:39 PM
bmw police bike too!

ilya
03-24-2007, 06:40 PM
only the finest in Manhattan Beach

oh , by the way, to whoever reads this. I thikn i still have the EAT chip at home. I got it a few years ago and never installed it. If someone wants it, let me know and when I go back home (May) I can mail it out probably.

Dave M
03-24-2007, 06:49 PM
Oh dude, that is a bad wreck. I assume you have an airbag in that puppy, and it did its job???? Any personal ill-effects?

BTW, thanks for the website (it was you that set us up right?)

OOOops, just noticed the green coolant, tisk tisk ;)

Dave

Boone.Msi
03-24-2007, 06:59 PM
damn, manhattan beach is only a few miles from where i used to live (redondo beach,) Sorry for your loss. Good luck in the future

cybereclipse
03-24-2007, 07:06 PM
how muvh for the EAT chip???

632 Regal
03-24-2007, 08:10 PM
it bleeds green...its either a bug or a martian.

Macv
03-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Thats a nasty pic. You slap that bitch in the face? I'd kill someone.

Are you still sticking to the BMW family?

ilya
03-24-2007, 10:01 PM
i dont think I'll be sticking to the bmw, not for right now at least. I dont think it's a smart move with the maintenance costs even on basic maintenance while I'm still in college. Though I only have 1 year left..
And yep, the airbag deployed (that was the "coolest" thing about the whole crash). The lady that I hit was really freaked out, but at least she volunatirly gave up her driving privelages for good after the crash (she was about 80 years old).
Oh and yeh I helped Ed set up this forum originally. I convinced him and everyone else to switch from the old format to something more 'modern' and the forum has been going strong ever since.

anyone in Souther California selling a car by any chance?

///Sniper535
03-25-2007, 01:40 AM
that sucks, and i thought mine was bad..

Sidney Rough-Diamond
03-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Sorry about the car, but E34's in the US must retain their value pretty good if you got paid out $6.1K. A mint 4.0L 6 speed manual Touring with all the gear wouldn't be worth that in the UK. A 525 would be worth a max of $3.

weazman187
03-25-2007, 03:53 AM
wow thats a nice chunk o change, what year it is? i hope if anybody ever wants to fight my car like that i get that much.

genphreak
03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Sorry to see and hear the news. Lucky you didn't ahve the EAT chip in there. you may have killed her. Her car took the impact bloody well though. I guess it bounced a fair way and lost a fair bit of rubber following the dramatic directional 'correction...'

Do yourself a favour. Find yourself somewhere to put the pieces, and then get another one- ideally wait until the right one comes along at the right price. You can save soooo much having a 'sparey', and you get to keep all the good bits (let alone the knowledge- which is priceless).

fujioko
03-25-2007, 08:35 AM
Wait a minuet,

Your 3500 lb BMW hit that little silver car?... Wow, I’ll have to say the silver car faired better than I thought it should have.

Sorry about your loss. Best of luck on whatever you decide to drive in the future.

ilya
03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
weazman, it was a 1995 with 130k miles on it.

I'd LOVE to get another one. I aboslutely loved having that car with its combination of power, luxury and speed. I'll probably end up geting another one in the future, even if by then it'll be like 18-20 years old. I love the body style on them.

ilya
03-25-2007, 01:07 PM
ohh and yeh, i was shocked to see that my car was damaged so much more than hers. I guess i hit it just right. Though I found out that her car is totalled too. I guess when you drive a Honda Fit, any damage is considered a total loss since they're such inexpensive cars :)

ryan roopnarine
03-25-2007, 01:56 PM
sorry to hear and see that. to the others....there's a butchered little saying about bmws and mercedess: "they're designed to lose so that the passenger wins". just so long as one walks away ok, and doesn't have a magic stroke in 6 months, the car did ok.

paul p (chi-town)
03-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow, droppin like flies.
Glad it took care of ya Ilya.

C’mon how bad is a 525 really on the wallet....find a clean one u do OK.

”Hang up & Drive!”
94 BMW 530iT&A 135K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale...........eh, maybe not. *puzzled* )
92 BMW 325i 135K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaaaack *woohoo* Hers *squint* )
93 Datsun NX2000 175K ‘Carla’ ( blown clutch *mad* )
85 Toyo MR2 125K ‘Jerry’ ( dare i drive it *duh* )
<Captain Murphy>"Do you want the signature On or Off...............too bad." -- </Captain Murphy>

leicesterboy15
03-25-2007, 04:16 PM
Bad luck about the car man, at least you got your money without hassle and you walked away, could have been a lot worse! Excellent work on the site, it must be very satisfying seeing something you helped create doing so well!

I think you'll taste something different and then be back for more of the e34 flavour. But good luck with whatever path you take.