PDA

View Full Version : Strange things are happening to my E34

IPBR21054
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
E34 1990 5210i
SORRY ABOUT THIS BEING LONG BUT I THOUGHT IT BEST IF I TELL YOU EVERYTHING.

Whilst driving home in the week the radio stopped working.
I checked the fuse and it was ok.
I then started to check if anything else was affected,and the following had also stopped working.

INTERIOR LIGHT WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED.
WINDSCREEN WIPERS.
CENTRAL LOCKING VIA REMOTE CONTROL KEY FOB.
ALL ELECTRIC WINDOWS INOPERATIVE.
RADIO.

If you lock the drivers door manualy it will only lock the drivers door and not all the doors,BUT when you turn the key the other way nothing happens so it stays locked.

I have noticed that sometims there is a very faint continuos beep from the alarm but i cant do anything about it as the key fob wont operate.

So I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then reconnected it and the alarm sounds straight away,i can then operate the key fob to turn it off.
I then check all the items above items that did not work and now they are all ok. ????????

This has now happened 5 times in the last week and dont know what to do.
I went shopping today and when i returned to the car the key fob would not work,they only way i could get into the car would be to smash the quarter light glass at the back.
I borrowed a hammer and started to hit the glass.The glass is very tuff and did not break BUT the door lock button on that door popped up ?????????
I could now get into the car ok.I checked all the above items and all were inoperative.I dissconnected the battery again and then reconnected it and now all ok again.

On the back of the alarm is a switch which you can turn on or off i suppose with a little key.I turned it off but this fault still happens so i have turned it back on again.

The cars starts and runs fine when this fault is present as i have bypassed the immobilizer by joining the 2 wires together as this was a previus issue last year and have since fitted a separate immobilizer.

The alarm is a factory fitted scorpion which was on the car when i bought it.

Any help on what to do would be nice.

Thanks

BobHarris
03-24-2007, 01:57 PM
This sounds very much like what happened on the 518 which I had before the 530.

Check the fusible link. (by the battery) Make sure that you actually remove it as it can fool you by having a hairline crack.

I had an Auto electrician come and surgically remove the BMW alarm/keyless entry system from my car as he said it had been fried by the fusible link problem.

IPBR21054
03-25-2007, 04:22 AM
Ok i will need to check this out but if that is the fault why does it only affect the items i have listed and not everything.

IPBR21054
03-25-2007, 07:43 AM
I have checked the link and it looked ok but the 2 x 10mm were loose,as i put the spanner on the nut the link fell in half.I have now sorted a temperary fix untill the correct part can be ordered,thanks very much for the advice.

BobHarris
03-25-2007, 08:18 AM
Ok i will need to check this out but if that is the fault why does it only affect the items i have listed and not everything.

I have no idea, It's nice to be able to use my experiences to help fellow board members for a change.:)

henryw525i
03-27-2007, 03:03 AM
Glad you found your problem. Can I just add one thing tho...may help u in the future if your battery is flat. On the drivers door you can turn the key as if to unlock it normally, then you will encounter some slight resistance...push past this and the drivers door will unlock manually for you. Its all in your owners handbook anyway..

Windows are shits to replace..

E34 1990 5210i
SORRY ABOUT THIS BEING LONG BUT I THOUGHT IT BEST IF I TELL YOU EVERYTHING.

Whilst driving home in the week the radio stopped working.
I checked the fuse and it was ok.
I then started to check if anything else was affected,and the following had also stopped working.

INTERIOR LIGHT WHEN THE DOOR IS OPENED.
WINDSCREEN WIPERS.
CENTRAL LOCKING VIA REMOTE CONTROL KEY FOB.
ALL ELECTRIC WINDOWS INOPERATIVE.
RADIO.

If you lock the drivers door manualy it will only lock the drivers door and not all the doors,BUT when you turn the key the other way nothing happens so it stays locked.

I have noticed that sometims there is a very faint continuos beep from the alarm but i cant do anything about it as the key fob wont operate.

So I disconnected the battery for 5 minutes then reconnected it and the alarm sounds straight away,i can then operate the key fob to turn it off.
I then check all the items above items that did not work and now they are all ok. ????????

This has now happened 5 times in the last week and dont know what to do.
I went shopping today and when i returned to the car the key fob would not work,they only way i could get into the car would be to smash the quarter light glass at the back.
I borrowed a hammer and started to hit the glass.The glass is very tuff and did not break BUT the door lock button on that door popped up ?????????
I could now get into the car ok.I checked all the above items and all were inoperative.I dissconnected the battery again and then reconnected it and now all ok again.

On the back of the alarm is a switch which you can turn on or off i suppose with a little key.I turned it off but this fault still happens so i have turned it back on again.

The cars starts and runs fine when this fault is present as i have bypassed the immobilizer by joining the 2 wires together as this was a previus issue last year and have since fitted a separate immobilizer.

The alarm is a factory fitted scorpion which was on the car when i bought it.

Any help on what to do would be nice.

Thanks

Ferret
03-27-2007, 06:56 AM
Glad you found your problem. Can I just add one thing tho...may help u in the future if your battery is flat. On the drivers door you can turn the key as if to unlock it normally, then you will encounter some slight resistance...push past this and the drivers door will unlock manually for you. Its all in your owners handbook anyway..

Windows are shits to replace..

Sometimes you have to lift the doorhandle to get the emergency unlock to work - others this area of the lock is jammed solid.

bmwrp8
03-27-2007, 01:36 PM
does the emergency unlock when the batt.is dead work if it is on deadlock?

DanDombrowski
03-27-2007, 03:09 PM
Don't know, but if the batt is dead, you can open the trunk and use the dome light connections to boost the battery enough to unlock the car.