PDA

View Full Version : OT, Hit by my car........or euro cages R tuff

paul p (chi-town)
03-23-2007, 11:28 PM
My weekend starts with getting out of work early.

Make a few stops.

Then........

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/airbag2.jpg

I hate airbags!

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/airbag.jpg

T-boned.
Some soccer mom blew a red in the wet. 7 blocks from home.
Grrrrrrrr!

Her english was weak and there were ‘more than three’ kids in the car.
Yes........catholic w/ cellphone. *rolleyes*
I was doomed but all things considered got off light.
Eh, life in the big city.
In the Volvo, the collision had time and space to be elastic.

I’d be w/o scratch xcept for the stupid bag. Car is gone, totalled.
Came from the left & i was looking that way going "oh sh*t".
Got socked real good, that propellant throws a punch and a half.
And stinks. *phew*
Volvo’s got nice headrests tho,

Carry on..........

OK i’ll admit, i’m pissed as hell.
‘Thor’, the god of thunder is DEAD.
Notice the lowercase g.........
I am more than alive, fine in fact. Xcept for that blood.

He would have been a sight at Greatlakesdagaway........at 15psi. *sigh*
Sweden’s finest vagon, in turbo, smearing rice all over the pavement.

*mad*

Odd tho, i was talking to someone on one of my stops who mentioned how an e34 saved their life.
She of course only knows it as her 95 525.
Heathen. *rolleyes* LOL

”Hang up & Drive!”
94 BMW 530iT&A 135K, ‘Helga’ ( for sale *sigh* pimp *waittaminute* )
92 BMW 325i 135K, ‘Rolf’ ( he’s baaaaack *woohoo* Hers *grrrr* )
93 Datsun NX2000 175K ‘Carla’ ( blown clutch *mad* )
85 Toyo MR2 125K ‘Jerry’ ( dare i drive it *duh* )
<Captain Murphy>"Do you want the signature On or Off...............too bad." -- </Captain Murphy>

Dave M
03-24-2007, 06:10 AM
Unfortunate, to say the least. Sounds like you're taking it well though, with your faith in god and all ;)

So am I hearing that the Volvo was ready to race? If so, I'd be a bit extra pissed as well. Glad you came out of it with just the bag rash rather than a fractured vertabrae. I've never been in a accident (just knocked on wood), and have never owned an airbag equipped vehicle, so my question is..... was that a side airbag (I'm guessing no by the photos) or do side impacts trigger a frontal airbag?

I imagine she'll be charged and you'll receive something for your troubles. Good luck with sorting things out. At least is wasn't one of the bimmers :)

Dave

ryan roopnarine
03-24-2007, 06:31 AM
oh wow. sorry to hear that. mind telling us what kind of car it was that hit you?

Michael999
03-24-2007, 06:44 AM
oh wow. sorry to hear that. mind telling us what kind of car it was that hit you?

I beleive he said he smeared rice all over the road.

Macv
03-24-2007, 09:33 AM
Ouch, that blows.

You don't look to happy :)

etcetera
03-24-2007, 10:03 AM
I beleive he said he smeared rice all over the road.

He said he wanted to smear rice all over the road with his Volvo at the races. No mention of what hit him.

Sorry to hear about the accident, at least you're OK. Did you get to pull any goodies off it before it was hauled away?

632 Regal
03-24-2007, 11:10 AM
That sucks man, at least your fingers werent infront of the bag when it went off or you would be sporting a few broken fingers.

Booster
03-24-2007, 12:09 PM
OUCHY:( - glad your OK man !
..........Vinny

Boone.Msi
03-24-2007, 03:35 PM
i layed on my horn with my hand before i got hit, broke all 5 bones in the palm of my hand, i just thought i had tissue damage until i had the x-rays taken :)

SharkmanBMW
03-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Bags are very dangerous... it is crucial that you hold the wheel at 10-2 or close...
a doctor friend has told horror stories of all the cool guys driving with one hand on the top of the wheel when they crash... broken arms, hands, fingers....

Damn glad you walked away... you will hopefully not feel the common full body pain that accident victims get.... get checked by a doctor anyways... for your insurance records...

winfred
03-24-2007, 06:21 PM
i had a customer that got t-boned right in the drivers door by a full size late 70s early 80s american log wagon, i think they were doing in the 50s or so when they blew the light and hit the volvo, dude was in a neck brace and on crutches with a broken leg but he was above ground, he bought another volvo within the week. i don't have any active airbags on any of my cars, i don't want that bomb going off in my face

Dave M
03-24-2007, 06:34 PM
i had a customer that got t-boned right in the drivers door by a full size late 70s early 80s american log wagon, i think they were doing in the 50s or so when they blew the light and hit the volvo, dude was in a neck brace and on crutches with a broken leg but he was above ground, he bought another volvo within the week. i don't have any active airbags on any of my cars, i don't want that bomb going off in my face

Now, if he was in another log wagon, they might have called it a fender bender ;)

winfred
03-24-2007, 07:00 PM
the car may survive but the squishy bits inside get tenderized

Now, if he was in another log wagon, they might have called it a fender bender ;)

paul p (chi-town)
03-24-2007, 07:24 PM
oh wow. sorry to hear that. mind telling us what kind of car it was that hit you?Thanks guys.

Soccer mom = minivan.

It was the 91 740 turbo. Just the wheel bag.
Boost had been bumped from a stock 9 to 13 psi. Just needed to swap out snows for summer stickies and it was ready to hit the strip.

*sigh*

”Hang up & Drive!”

paul p (chi-town)
03-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Did you get to pull any goodies off it before it was hauled away?The tow truck driver was pretty cool. He let me grab a few things.
Stereo, speakers, battery, cone filter.
The boost had been upped through a little bleed valve to the blow off, not really worth grabbing, i guess.
I’ll take a trip down to the yard Monday.
The alloys with near new BFG G-force tires were in the garage the whole time.
Hit between the rear door and fender, door won’t open and it tweaked the rear axle too. Between that and the airbag it’s a total for sure.

”Hang up & Drive!”

paul p (chi-town)
03-24-2007, 08:43 PM
Bags are very dangerous... it is crucial that you hold the wheel at 10-2 or close...
get checked by a doctor anyways... for your insurance records...Yeah, over the past several years i’ve modified my driving style because of this.

Long time ago i left an off ramp @ 50mph.
It was a little icy, knew i wasn’t going to make it so instead of hitting the guard rail, straightened out and went for the ditch. The ditch had bout a foot of water in it, iced over. The ice set off the bag which i watched with some amusement since you could sit a bit further back in a 90 Nissan Pulsar.
Wasn’t so amusing when i hit the bottom of the ditch.
My right hand was fine, my left which had been freed of the steering wheel by the bag now went into the windshield. Cracked the glass and left me quite sore for a week.

Made further adjustments after autoX school. Keeping the wheel a little higher, shuffle steering, pulling down with the turn side hand, etc.
Kinda weird, my grandfather who learned how to drive in Germany and owned MBs in the 70/80s had exactly the style i’ve adopted.

Still tho, going to pull the SRS fuses in the NX when i get it back on the road.

Good call on the doc, there’s a couple of little things i need to get checked out anyway that i’ve been putting off (common middle class, middle age white guy things........sir you need more fiber in you’re diet).

”Hang up & Drive!”

Jr ///M5
03-24-2007, 09:46 PM
ohmygoshpaulI'mgladyou'reok...

Nasty little punch you took there, and you don't look too happy about it. But look on the bright side, you will get to go car shopping soon.

Hope the insurance is good to you!

Take care,
Jr

winfred
03-24-2007, 10:09 PM
i gotta 99 volvo v70xc (cross country awd turbo) forsale if ya wanna winter friendly brick, silver on tan 80 something k miles, just did the major service

paul p (chi-town)
03-25-2007, 02:49 PM
But look on the bright side, you will get to go car shopping soon.
Take care,
JrThanks JR.
Eh, maybe not on the shopping.
This offers ‘Helga’ a reprieve.
‘Carla’ is down (ghetto, 'what do i lying round clutch' gave out after 2 years). Will actually have to spring for new. *shakeshead*
And as skittish as i’m feeling i would not want to be out in rush hour, in the rain, in ‘Jerry’ the 2000lb MR2.
‘Rolf’ is on an indefinite loan to Kelli.
Ergo i’m drivin her.......uh, ‘Helga’ that is.....at the moment.
*smirk*

”Hang up & Drive!”

TC535i
03-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Interesting that your wheel bag blew in a t-bone... I thought they only activated from front/rear impact per the alignment of the shock sensor, so the bag would help with front/back whiplash?

Good to see you're ok, hope that glass on the table has a little something extra for the pain...

paul p (chi-town)
03-25-2007, 02:56 PM
i gotta 99 volvo v70xc (cross country awd turbo)
C’mon Winfred, you of all people should know better.
I’ts a BF23Turbonium or nothin. *grin*
I really became fond of that beast.
Besides i still owe ya for the help on ‘Rolf’
Now that i got the metal outer balls and rear shocks w/ M mounts & such, he’s one sweet driving car.

Tell ya what, keep an eye out for an LSD rear for ‘Rolf’.
And a rear wiper arm for ‘Helga’........................and manual conversion parts.

Did i just say that? *bad Pablo*

”Hang up & Drive!”

winfred
03-25-2007, 06:27 PM
i still sell all of the 940s i can get my hands on, got one in saturday that was sold before it was delivered, e36 posi's are rare, da e34 a 525 or a 530? i can't remember, 525 i may have the required 5 speed crap (just need to check it all out for general goodness) 530 sol! only even seen one 530 with a stick let alone parted one

C’mon Winfred, you of all people should know better.
I’ts a BF23Turbonium or nothin. *grin*
I really became fond of that beast.
Besides i still owe ya for the help on ‘Rolf’
Now that i got the metal outer balls and rear shocks w/ M mounts & such, he’s one sweet driving car.

Tell ya what, keep an eye out for an LSD rear for ‘Rolf’.
And a rear wiper arm for ‘Helga’........................and manual conversion parts.

Did i just say that? *bad Pablo*

”Hang up & Drive!”

paul p (chi-town)
03-25-2007, 08:29 PM
530 sol! only even seen one 530 with a stick let alone parted oneAnd everyone asks, why i’d rather have started w/ a 525iT&A

Yeah, it’s the miniature v8.

*pthhhht*

”Hang up & Drive!”

winfred
03-25-2007, 08:33 PM
oh well then, your ****ed :D

paul p (chi-town)
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
OK, here’s the car.
Doesn’t look that bad.

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/thordead2.jpg

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/thordead3.jpg

The body isn’t pushed in that much but the axle took alot of the blow. Note the 15° toe out.
Since intersection is at an angle, bout 60°, you could add some of my speed too.
The hit was pretty hard considering only ~30% of it was in the right direction and did this. That explains t-bone=airbag.

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/thordead5.jpg

This looks like a little ripple in the roof. Just left of the black gutter trim break.

http://pavlo.interaccess.com/thordead4.jpg

Reminds me of some old Volvos i saw in a rally crash compilation.
These things ARE tanks.

”Hang up & Drive!”

SC David
03-27-2007, 06:31 PM
Whoa, the airbags went off in that situation?? Definitely would have been better off without them. Oh well, at least you came out alright. Now it's time for an 850R!

paul p (chi-town)
03-27-2007, 06:59 PM
Whoa, the airbags went off in that situation?? Definitely would have been better off without them.

Well.......only cause i was wearing my seatbelt. This was 1/3 head on, momentum would have pushed me into the left side of the wheel if not. Which is why i always wear it and will be defusing the bomb in the Nissan.
Also planning on getting g-locks all around.

Now it's time for an 850R!

Eh, see my previous convo with Winfred. If i get another Volvo it's gonna be another old school RWD blown to the teens BRICK.
Post 850s are junk, fast as snot, but still junk.

”Hang up & Drive!”

paul p (chi-town)
03-28-2007, 12:29 AM
Good to see you're ok, hope that glass on the table has a little something extra for the pain...Thanks Tim.

Got that right on the glass, but it only helped so much.

”Hang up & Drive!”