PDA

View Full Version : Will Death be Shifting my Automatic Soon?

ApproachingZero
03-23-2007, 02:32 PM
Here is the car: 1990 BMW 535i Automatic 170,000 miles

So I had a wierd downshift when i took a turn too fast, so i freaked out thinking something might be wrong. The car drove fine to my destionation, and has been driving fine all along. Well, the only thing i noticed is a wierd shift to 4 gear when i am lightly on the gas. It almost feels like you let the clutch out too soon on a fith gear change. Anyway, I checked the fluid.........It looked bad, very little red. Honestly, mostly brown. The only thing that didn't really bother me was that it did not smell burnt.

So i am taking the car in next week to get me cruise control servo fixed, and do you think i should have the fluid changed? Now, i know most will go, "you idiot change it", but i do not want to open a can of worms. The car shifts fine now, and is quite smooth. It always has been. I am worried that opening it up might "move" something that would have stayed in place.

So the shop offers 2 options for the flush; an empty, then refill or a pan drop, filter repacement, refill (this one scares me). Or, i could take option 3, and not do anything.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-23-2007, 02:37 PM
will extend the life of a good trans, help a marginal, and kill a failing trans.

I first changed my fluid and filter a few years back and the shifting smoothed out, now I change it once a year to keep it going.

Yop may be in luck since it's not burned up yet.

Good luck

Rus
03-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Doing a simple empty and refill is not much different than removing the pan and changing the filter. You'll change the same amount of fluid either way (~3qts). I'd change the fluid AND filter. Like Bob mentioned, if the fluid didn't smell burnt, your trans might still have a heartbeat. If there is one thing to avoid, it would be a complete tranny flush. HTH

Ross
03-24-2007, 07:27 AM
2nd this. There is absolutely no reason to leave a filthy filter in place, ever.
The funky operation may clear up with fresh fluid.

ApproachingZero
03-24-2007, 12:08 PM
O.k. I think i will have the whole thing taken care of. Should i go syntheic, or leave the dino ATF fluid in?

Tiger
03-24-2007, 12:22 PM
Definitely do a complete ATF fluid change... stick with dino for now until you know for sure tranny is okay. Valvoline ATF is good.