PDA

View Full Version : DME out, looking for help (MARK D)

txp135
03-22-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm opening the DME to see what kind of chip I have currently before I switch the chip to EAT. I'm using these directions...

http://bmwe34.net/e34main/upgrade/chip.htm

I seem to get stuck at step 7b, someone obviously got this open before and one of the tabs were broken. The direction said that the upper board can be slide out (sounds very easy). I cannot just slide the board out, and I can't look inside to see how this thing is snapped together. Anyone have experience opening this before? Thank you

bigtisas
03-22-2007, 07:04 PM
I spent an hour and couldn't open the DME either. I ended up just use a small screw driver to popped the old EPROM and took it out from the side. Then I carefully put the mod chip back from the side. You will need to adjust the Eprom's legs (contacts) a few times to get it right. It was like heart surgery.

txp135
03-22-2007, 07:12 PM
damn, the direction on bmwe34 made it sound easy. It would be easy if it shows which direction to slide, and how much force to use. If I yank on it hard, it might come out but I don't want to risk it.

MarkD
03-22-2007, 09:49 PM
damn, the direction on bmwe34 made it sound easy. It would be easy if it shows which direction to slide, and how much force to use. If I yank on it hard, it might come out but I don't want to risk it.

You have to lift the top board to almost 45 degrees or so. Did you see that you have to pry the two plastic tabs outwards and pull up at the same time?

If you send me an email, I'll send you some directions.

If your car was made on or after 12/94 I need to read your stock chip. Please make sure your DME is a 0 261 200 404, or else I have to read it.

Mark

txp135
03-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Hi Mark, I sent you email right after I created this thread. Let me try again. The 2 plastic tabs you're talking about, are they located with the pins where you plug the harness in or are they the ones on the board? Maybe I didn't lift the board to exactly 45 degree because I was afraid it would break. One of the tabs is broken, that won't stop me from removing the board right?

632 Regal
03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
2 tabs where the harness plugs in. Hold them in as you try to wedge the board out of the slot then lift the board up.

Hi Mark, I sent you email right after I created this thread. Let me try again. The 2 plastic tabs you're talking about, are they located with the pins where you plug the harness in or are they the ones on the board? Maybe I didn't lift the board to exactly 45 degree because I was afraid it would break. One of the tabs is broken, that won't stop me from removing the board right?

txp135
04-11-2007, 05:37 PM
My first mod is here! After dinner installation.