PDA

View Full Version : 1st year of ownership recap

HIe34
03-22-2007, 02:12 PM
I've seen other posts on this type of topic, so what the hell. I am at the one year anniversary of ownership of my 89 525i. I purchased the car with 146k and now have 154k on it. My commute is rather short and with no A/C, it's hard to convince the family to take it on weekend trips since 95% of the time it's at least 80 degrees here so that is why only 8k miles in a year. My son would drive in it any time with me, so that's pretty cool.

Overall, I love the car. I've learned a ton from this forum, met some new friends because of it and found a new hobby. My buddy, Blitzkrieg Bob has been an unbelievable source of knowledge and advice and envy since he lowered his car.

Ok, details from this past year:

Hood Shocks: $20
Expansion Valve: $30
Auxillary Fan Switch: $30
Oil Change/Filter: $30
OBC Bulbs: $5
Radiator Switch Cable: $15
Door Handle Gaskets: $25
OEM Muffler/Resonator: $40 (Thanks Ed)
New (to me) Passenger Door: Free (Thanks Ed)
Under Front Door Moulding: $28
Driver side window motor: $60
New Wheels and Tires: $150 (from bottle caps to basketweaves/craigslist)
Cleaning supplies: ($$$$$$$$)

In the works:

Swap door locks and window with old door
Brakes and Rotors
A/C
Lowering springs
Clear Front Indicators
Euro Trim

Great Forum everyone.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
This in the works stuff:

Swap door locks and window with old door (Saturday afternoon?)
Brakes and Rotors (when ever)
A/C (pick up some gas with dye)
Clear Front Indicators (my religion forbids me from participating in the blasphemous act)
Euro Trim ( can I have you old markers)
Lowering springs (save this for last, since it may include arms & ends etc. $$$)

HIe34
03-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Door/window: Sounds Good.

Yes, you can have my markers.

Regarding the clear indicators, you know my predicament, OEM passenger side indicator is shattered, so what the hell, clear it is.

Springs are probably a pipe dream at this time, but someday.

Tiger
03-22-2007, 02:49 PM
How many miles can you actually rack up in Hawaii? Just average... I never drove on the island... so no idea.

Blitzkrieg Bob
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
How many miles can you actually rack up in Hawaii? Just average... I never drove on the island... so no idea.

Since I go all over the Island

indierthanthou
03-22-2007, 02:50 PM
I had the same thing happen with my parking lights too, the clears actually look pretty good, and not nearly as ricey as i thought they would. but really its the only thing on the outside im going to do, other than maybe m-teknik skirts or something like that. and, ya know, repair that effin rust