PDA

View Full Version : stuck release knob in AT shift selector

Alpinewhite
03-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Hi All,

The release lever underneath the AT shift knob is stuck inside. So its always in release position. Has anyone faced the same problem? Could someone shed light on how to repair it?

Thanks
Arun

632 Regal
03-21-2007, 04:43 PM
mine did this when the material that slides infront and behind the lever in the console, other than that you probably need to dissasemble the thing.

Dr. evil
03-21-2007, 05:26 PM
does it look something like a T. if so the best thing is to try and find a spring or somting that will fit under ther

leicesterboy15
03-22-2007, 05:33 AM
The shifter lock is just a simple rod that is connected to the release button. My guess is that your spring has gone. Take the shifter knob off (Remove the screws on the shifter (they may be torq heads, can't remember) - they are on the bulk head side.) You can have a proper look at the switch, fiddle with it and it may release itself. Make sure you attach the rod properely when putting it back together.

Ross
03-22-2007, 07:13 AM
Allen head I recall, 2.5mm?. The rod has a hole in it that accepts a rod connected to the button. If the hole gets broken out or the rod isn't in the hole the button will remain retracted I think. Easy enough to check anyhow.

jnmip
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Hi All,

The release lever underneath the AT shift knob is stuck inside. So its always in release position. Has anyone faced the same problem? Could someone shed light on how to repair it?

Thanks
Arun

I'm having the same problem sort of. The black release lever on the selector handle doesn't drop back down.

This link shows the handle and the pull rod. (unfortunately I wasn't able to paste the pic.

http://bmwfans.info/original/E34/Lim/525i-M50/USA/L/A/1992/11/mg-25/ill-25_0056/

But I don't see any spring. I'm wondering if its a rod lubrication problem as if I jiggle the selector handle the lever will drop back down.

Hope this helps

whiskychaser
03-22-2007, 01:36 PM
But I don't see any spring. I'm wondering if its a rod lubrication problem as if I jiggle the selector handle the lever will drop back down.

I think the section of the T you squeeze to release the lever is the only bit with any spring in it. If you take it off and it doesnt feel 'springy' thats your problem. But the rod itself may just be a bit bent

jnmip
03-23-2007, 07:04 AM

I think the section of the T you squeeze to release the lever is the only bit with any spring in it. If you take it off and it doesnt feel 'springy' thats your problem. But the rod itself may just be a bit bent

I can't see anyway to take the T handle apart to see if there is a spring missing.....does anyone know?

Rus
03-23-2007, 09:31 AM
I can't see anyway to take the T handle apart to see if there is a spring missing.....does anyone know?

Step by step:
1) Remove the handle using an allen wrench.
2) Remove the white shifter rod from the pin inside the shifter.
3) Reach in with needlenose pliers and remove the metal pin that is sticking out of the plastic button inside the handle.
4) Swing out the plastic button as far as possible.
5) There should be a spring inside the handle. If its missing you can use a socket holder from a common item called a Rail Socket Holder. Example:
http://imageserver.isnweb.com/KDT2532.jpg

I fixed my handle using one of these holders as a spring long ago and it still works great. I believe you need one of the smaller 3/8" holders for this.
6) With the spring installed, swing the button back into the handle and reinstall the metal pin.
7) Attach the white shift rod to the pin and reinstall the handle.
8) Enjoy.

HTH

jnmip
03-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Nice solution, I'll have to try that this weekend. This is why this site works so well. Thanks

Step by step:
3) Reach in with needlenose pliers and remove the metal pin that is sticking out of the plastic button inside the handle.
5) There should be a spring inside the handle. If its missing you can use a socket holder from a common item called a Rail Socket Holder. Example:

I fixed my handle using one of these holders as a spring long ago and it still works great. I believe you need one of the smaller 3/8" holders for this.
6) With the spring installed, swing the button back into the handle and reinstall the metal pin.
8) Enjoy.

HTH

Alexlind123
03-23-2007, 07:45 PM
YES!! Mine was stuck in the retracted position for about a year and a half. One day i tried to move it to a different position and i noticed that the button/lever was no longer retracted. This was a few weeks ago, and it has been fine since. Maybe you will just get lucky!

jnmip
03-24-2007, 12:17 PM
This worked perfectly. Thanks

Step by step:

8) Enjoy.

HTH

Rus
03-24-2007, 04:01 PM
This worked perfectly. Thanks

Glad it worked out for you. :) I discovered the method by accident...Come to think of it those socket holders are still just lying around the garage. Organization isn't my thing I guess.