PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Perfect 535im

Robin-535im
05-03-2004, 09:04 AM
Okay Gents, I chose not to get the ///M5 (but man was it clean...)

Anyway, I'm looking for a replacement for the dear 535im. I have two paths:

1) Low mileage pristine 535im, good paint, I'll hot-rod it myself

2) Already modified 535im, good paint, common upgrades like suspension, bushings, engine stuff, etc.

If anyone knows of a super clean, low mileage 535im or a perfectly modified 535im, please let me know. I scour Autotrader, cars.com and roadfly daily so if it's in there I've probably seen it. Any leads are greatly appreciated.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe,

Robin

G Feller
05-04-2004, 08:57 AM
1989 535i WBAHD1313KBF08312 Jet black/black leather, 5-speed, 14k miles on 3.7L
stroker installed by Dinan (280hp, 265lb-ft) and restoration. All the best mods,
no bad ones. Beautiful interior, paint, engine. Meticulously maintained.
Steers, runs, looks, like new. No track/smoke. $30k+ in receipts, bo over
$17,000. Jeff: 408 261-8616; www.535i.com. (CA)

1989 535i WBAHD2317KBF62962 Dark gray/silver, 151k miles, 2nd owner, all
mechanical and other work has been performed as needed. The car is in excellent
shape, all power, sunroof, tinted windows, and CD player. Pics available.
$7,000. 865 523-8817; lewissnyder@comcast.net. (TN)

George M
05-04-2004, 09:09 AM
one...no such thing as perfect...two, most guys with E34's in real nice shape have put a lot of time and money into them and therefore aren't willing to sell or, three...you end up with the seller above who has sunk way too much into his E-34 and therefore he wants the moon for it...which he will never get. When you start getting into the low to mid-teens look for an early E-39. If you pay in the 7K range unless you get very lucky you will likely inherit a boat load of work.
George

mholbrook
05-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Perfect is in the eye of the beholder. My 535iM is perfect....for me. I bought it for $3k and it need complete suspension redone (fine I would do that anyway). The paint is only fair with plenty of battle scars in the form of chips and some scratches with one rusty ding in the rear quarter that I can repair (fine, no garage queen for me anyway). My interior was pretty good except for the door panels which were delaminated. I repaired these by making new patterns for the door panel inserts and covering them with ultrasuede black material which is a nice contrast for the tan (natur) leather seats. Added BMW Business CD. Replaced blobed computer. Interior now is pretty good, a nice place to be.

I was fortunate to have an ice cold AC and a new clutch and brakes. I ultimately replaced the front brakes anyway with M5 units which I picked up cheap through another list.

I replaced the entire front suspension, upper and lower control arms, steering, tie rods, springs, shocks. Rear springs, shocks, pitman arms. Replaced diff with 3:64LSD. New tires, 17" wheels. Short shifter. Strut brace. New exhaust.

There's more, a lot of replacing fluids, bushings, bulbs, filters, spark plugs, wires, etc.

In the end, I have about $7,500 - $8,000 in the car and it is a running SOB. It looks good and gets a lot of compliments. It's not perfect for the sort that frets over a little chip or two but if you want to be a street sweeper and an autocross/track contender, then my car is the place to be.

You want a perfect 535iM, make it yourself.

George M
05-04-2004, 10:01 AM
yup...but that is the point, if you want perfect, you almost have to make it yourself.
The book on car buying it is "always" cheaper to buy a car restored than to do the work yourself...that includes either time and/or money.
Add $5K to Mike's car for a paint job and you have close to perfect. This of course puts the car in the low teens.
My car is fairly mint but it is more or less a garage queen and I will not even comment on how much money I have into the car...a lot...and except for the paint, I have done all the work myself.
Will leave you with a collector car benchmark.....Take a 100 pt. showcar and drive it for a year and with normal use and good care you end up with an 80 pt. car.
George

Craig Wright
05-04-2004, 11:26 AM
Unless you have deep pockets, most banks, usually, will not make loans for autos older that 1995. Not even for the "Luxo" marks. I looked into this last year when a '93 535i peaked my interest. Since cash reserves are financing #2 son's college, my toy purchases have been put on hold.

Craig Wright
89 535i

Robin-535im
05-04-2004, 11:38 AM
The most perfect car in the world was the one I was driving just before it got maimed by that Jeep... Sniff... Thanks for the leads though, I'll check them out.

I complely agree that an E34 in great shape with all the worn parts replaced or upgraded will be more than blue book, as I'm sure all our cars are worth more to us than the money the insurance co. pays us when they get totalled.

My choice is to repeat the past and rebuild one myself ($7k for the car, $2k for the mods + time) or buy one that is withing the realm of what I consider recent and tasteful upgrades. But like GM said, once someone spends tons of cash making their car perfect, they can't stand to let it go for a market price.

I think I may have found one though... Looks real sharp, many many replaced parts (i.e., less time and money spent in the garage) and a decent price. If it works out I'll post some pics...

Thanks all - I appreciate the input.

- Robin
91 535im (RIP)
?90 535im in the future?

Robin-535im
05-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Unless you have deep pockets, most banks, usually, will not make loans for autos older that 1995.
Craig Wright
89 535i

I figure the cost of the car in it's raw, unrestored form is about what a bank will loan and about what an ins co will insure. For a 535im that's $5k - $8k. Either I can buy one in that range and foot the bill for upgrades, or buy one already restored; and in both cases the risk I run is that I now have a car worth more than the insurance company will pay me for it. Unfortunate, but an E34 is just such a nice car when it's all fixed up that I'm willing to take that risk...

632 Regal
05-04-2004, 12:08 PM
you can insure the car for any amount that you specify, they will just surcharge you on the add'l value

mholbrook
05-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Call me crazy, but I don't really care what the insurance company or blue book have to say about my car....at least so long as it isn't totaled by some fool (not me!).

I take a look around at what I can buy for say $8000 and enjoy. Almost nothing. Certainly nothing like a "Full House" 535iM that will stop on a dime and give change, blow the doors off almost 98% of any car on the road, and provide the kind of deep enjoyment that only an E34 can give.

For that experience, the $8000 or about what a 3 year old used mini truck might cost or the cost of a new Suzuki Aero, is so worth it to be in the E34 that I just can't wait to get in at the end of the day. In fact, it is only the prospect of the drive that even gets me out of bed and off to work every day!

Just my .02.