PDA

View Full Version : E34 diesels : What are they like

scoop2004
03-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Thinking about going for an E34 TDS soon, anyone got any info on them?
Did they come in 524 and 525 form? or just 525?
Do they sound overly tractor like or are they quiet? what kind of MPG you get from them? what sort of power/torque figures and general info? what standard kit do you get on them etc

Tony777
03-20-2007, 08:32 AM
My one was fine but I have a TD not a TDS. When it warms up, it is quite quiet and I get about 40 mpg but if I drove it economicly, I recon I could get 50mpg on a run.

scoop2004
03-20-2007, 08:38 AM
difference between a TD and TDS?

shogun
03-20-2007, 10:23 AM
TDS has intercooler, models which didn't have an intercooler as standard were termed td rather than tds
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/enumber.html
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/e34.html

Ferret
03-21-2007, 05:06 AM
Hah, I've just swapped from a 525i (gas/petrol) to a 525tds tourer.

Difference is quite amazing really, when you hoof it, you can hardly tell the difference between the petrol and diesel engine sounds. (My lil bro was shocked that it was actually a diesel and not just a petrol that needed a decent service the first time he had a ride in it.) A tds tends to return a steady 40+mpg on a motorway run, though around town you tend to hit the turbo quite a lot just for the fun of it.

However - try and avoid the auto versions of the tds unless you like having the back end of the car all over the place. I span mine out on the first day I took it to work, as the torque curve is not smooth at all (I was on auto pilot trying to drive it like the 525i.) The turbo's prone to catching you out in the wet as the power surge in the lower gears has a lot of 'grin factor.'

Quieter than petrols on the motorway with lower RPM.
The Idle isnt really tractor like, it's a bit noisier, but very smooth!

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-21-2007, 05:33 AM
I`ve had a TDS for five years and nothing beats it.According to Sat-Nav it does 143mph,no more down and no less up hill,and Cherbourg to Pamplona in 12 hrs @ 37mpg,did it 12 times in`06 so thats an average.Yes,the boost can bite but if you rev it out in low gears no problem.Mine now has a bastard-ized 530/535 set up on the original block(260k and still had hone marks!)giving huge torque,would not recommend set up as getting little and large turbo to work took 5 days of mapping and pain.Standard set up fine and ultra-reliable,TD not really worth it as TDS is so much better,the key to long life is good oil and frequent changes,if no proof walk away!Oh,any vibration means engine mounts split,jack sump(block of wood) to test.As for power figures-enough!Runs on bio-crap,heating oil,kero,anything,as opposed to latest generation.Enjoy.

Jon K
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
I really really want a diesel rear end diff for my petrol setup

scoop2004
03-23-2007, 07:56 AM
cheers for the help guys,so it runs on veggie oil eh, nah, i wouldnt, not on a BMW,maybe on a crappy old ford diesel or something. however,i can get hold of "kerosene" AKA AVTUR from work, in small amounts

Ferret
03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Veggie oil actually makes the car run smoother and makes a sweet smell :)

Though, watch out for the 'frying squad' that operate in the southern UK - they sniff out offenders by the smell of their cars exhaust.

Tony777
03-24-2007, 02:08 PM
difference between a TD and TDS?
The difference is about 35 BHP more than a TD and TDS normally has a better spec as well.
My TD can easilly reach 100mph plus with loads more to go. I recon it's good for about 120 mph

Paul in NZ
03-24-2007, 02:39 PM
As with any other bmw spec levels vary from car to car,no such thing as a "normal" spec.Aslo would vary from Country to country.
If you get one get it checked ,preferably by someone who knows deisels