PDA

View Full Version : I wont be convinced...

Boone.Msi
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Im sorry everyone but ive got modding fever:D As we all know, we have been schooled that a CAI wont benefit the e34. Well by god, ive got to have one, if it means making one myself.

My friend has 20 ft of 3" aluminum piping, and were gonna use trial and error to create a nice CAI Dinan replica. About a 1/4 of the idea is for "teh prettiness factor" so later down the road im gonna make a fiberglass mold with carbon fiber overlay.

Hyrdolock well be considered, I would like to use the alternator intake duct idea as a inlet for air, but will plan accordingly, once i find a nice straight path to the lower bumper. Heres my source for the idea:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=10

obviously it wont be identical, but its damn close as far as placement.

Lets hear the boards opinions on this:D

Jon K
03-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Not worth the hassle. Aluminum is a bitch to weld.

BillionPa
03-20-2007, 12:49 AM
here in MN i made a HAI "hot air intake" by blocking off half the radiator with cardboard, and "repositioning" the air intake behind the part of the radiator that isnt blocked.

works a lot better when its 0F outside.

FYI in the summer with a black asphalt road the air intake will be hotter using a dinan replica than it would be sucking through its default location.... so you would be making your own HAI muhahah! the downside to your idea is that there will be increased flow restriction, so you will lose power under almost all conditions.