PDA

View Full Version : anyone knowledgable in stock head units?

kick7ca
03-19-2007, 08:05 AM
I searched, but it only confused me more.

Can someone please tell me which head units will fit my car (1992 535i no CD changer) plug and play style? My head unit is fried and I want to acquire another one of the same, but this time I want the CD changer also.

Please send me a PM if you have one for sale.

Thanks

winfred
03-19-2007, 08:19 AM
91-95 e34/32/36 will all work, i like the pioneer (finned heat sink on the back) over the alpine (smooth back) but that's just me,

markus
03-19-2007, 08:52 AM
i have a cd changer for sale if u want it. PM me. came out of my 1994 540i and works fine. im asking $75 shipped.

BuckNaked
03-19-2007, 03:17 PM
I went through a lot of misinformation with the cd changer thing.
I found:
http://www.bmw-540i.com/1995-540i-cd-changer/index.php
It is for cd changers, but the table shows radio info, and it appears that for your car there were 4 different radio options. 2 Alpine, 2 pioneer. I haven;t seen for myself, but I want to assume that the data connection is the same on all. I like how the radio info shows in the guage cluster with stock head unit. If your car is prewired for cd changer, you may want to figure out which connector you have for the radio, and buy a matched head/changer.
Bottom line is pull your radio, get the make and model and check the connector, go from there. If you want to mess with the wires, it's up to you.
I find I have the Alpine CM5903L and factory pre-wired for changer. I'm having a bit of trouble finding a mate cd changer for the damned thing.
I think you should be able to get some info with the radio off pressing (-) and (Program) buttons simultaneously.

kick7ca
03-20-2007, 07:05 AM
OK I have the KE91zbm Pioneer.

dennyg
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
You can have my radio for shipping charge if you like. I was going to try and sell it but I like this site and many have been helpfull to me here so its yours with the code if you want it. Its a 1989 from a 535 that had only 45k miles on it when I changed it out for a sony head unit. It has wires and no connector which may be different then yours but for under ten bucks you really can't go wrong......Let me know if you are interested......Denny