PDA

View Full Version : Fuming or An exhaustive search

Eric540i
03-18-2007, 01:08 PM
When the car’s stationary I can smell exhaust fumes in the cabin.

This might be a dumb question but is there a standard way to find an exhaust leak?

I’ve had the car on ramps while idling and just ran my hand along the exhaust system trying to feel where the leak might be but I felt nothing unusual. Similarly, the lack of telltale noise suggests that it’s a very small (and so far elusive) leak.

Because the headers are so difficult to access I haven’t been able to check these - but again if they were at fault I’d expect to hear some exceptional noise.

Any ideas?

Ross
03-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Have a look at the trunk weatherseal. If there aren't any exhaust leaks it might be drawn in back there.

632 Regal
03-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I definetly agree with this one, my trunk was full of dust until I adjusted it to close tighter. It still needs a seal as when the car isn't quite warmed up and I drive with a window half open it sucks the exhause right into the car and it smells strong.

Have a look at the trunk weatherseal. If there aren't any exhaust leaks it might be drawn in back there.

Eric540i
03-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the tip!
It makes a lot of sense given the absence of any 'normal' leakage symptoms - but I probably would never have thought to suspect the trunk/boot seal.
I love this forum!