PDA

View Full Version : i need guides, can't find any online.

sirius_GTO
03-17-2007, 02:26 PM
i tried searching but i couldn't find it.

i need a guide to fix the fan clutch, the thermostat housing, and the water pump.

I went to that E34 website but he didn't have anything on cooling...

sorry for making others do the work for me but i really couldn't find anything. thanks

yaofeng
03-17-2007, 03:40 PM
1) Knock fan loose. Remove fan and clutch. Fan is reverse thread. Use a 32 mm wrench and a big flat blade screw driver if you don't have the bike tool.
2) Loosen s-belt. Remove plastic cap of the tensioner. Insert a 13 mm socket with a ratchet to loosen the belt.
3) Remove water pump pulley, 4 bolts. Use 10 mm socket.
4) Remove thermostat housing, four bolts, one 13 mm socket, the remaining three use 12 mm socket.
5) remove water pump, four nuts, 10 mm socket ( I think).

At lease replace the two o-rings if you do not replace the water pump, t-stat, or t-stat housing. Installation is reverse of removal. tighten the 10 mm socket bolts and nuts to 10 N-m, tighten the 12 mm and 13 mm socket bolts to 20 N-m. See picture.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1738-1.jpg

632 Regal
03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Pretty much covers all aspects.

1) Knock fan loose. Remove fan and clutch. Fan is reverse thread. Use a 32 mm wrench and a big flat blade screw driver if you don't have the bike tool.
2) Loosen s-belt. Remove plastic cap of the tensioner. Insert a 13 mm socket with a ratchet to loosen the belt.
3) Remove water pump pulley, 4 bolts. Use 10 mm socket.
4) Remove thermostat housing, four bolts, one 13 mm socket, the remaining three use 12 mm socket.
5) remove water pump, four nuts, 10 mm socket ( I think).

At lease replace the two o-rings if you do not replace the water pump, t-stat, or t-stat housing. Installation is reverse of removal. tighten the 10 mm socket bolts and nuts to 10 N-m, tighten the 12 mm and 13 mm socket bolts to 20 N-m. See picture.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/yaofengchen/BMW_95_525i/DSC_1738-1.jpg

sirius_GTO
03-25-2007, 12:30 AM
so im guessing an average joe like me should take it to the dealership...

anyone know how much it would cost? thanks

The Bigfella
03-25-2007, 03:53 AM
so im guessing an average joe like me should take it to the dealership...

No - do it yourself. Easy jobs. I'm rebuilding my E34 M5 engine at the moment - albeit with a bit of well-trained mechanic help. But the jobs you are doing are all ones I've done - and I wear a suit for work.

E34-520iSE
03-25-2007, 04:53 AM
No - do it yourself. Easy jobs. I'm rebuilding my E34 M5 engine at the moment - albeit with a bit of well-trained mechanic help. But the jobs you are doing are all ones I've done - and I wear a suit for work.
I agree with Yaofeng and Bigfella , do it yourself. Once you've got it all apart it's a doddle to put back together again. We'll help you with more info if you get stuck. Just don't overtighten the t-stat housing bolts or you'll break the plastic housing - like I did once!

HTH,

Shaun M