PDA

View Full Version : Conversion: Automatic to 5-speed

Bob Gardner
05-02-2004, 06:17 PM
i own a '89 bmw 535i and am looking to convert my automatic to a 5-speed manual. i have a good condition automatic transmission right now and am willing to buy or trade for a 5-speed. email me at franklin35@hotmail.com with any information you might have on the whereabouts of one. i need everything that comes with it, too, so if anyone has any of the following, i'd be willing to buy those too.
all of this is for the '89 e34 535i:
driveshaft
clutch
differential
pedals
linkage
interior console plate and boot along with the shift knob.
anything else that i will need in the converion that i have not listed.

thank you.

p.s.: someone offered me a 525 transmission, but we're not sure if it's compatible. anyone know?

George M
05-02-2004, 06:32 PM
One of the most talented people on this board just got done converting his automatic
E-32 to a 5 speed. The conversion between the E-32 and E-34 is virtually identical.
His name is Don Gale and his attention to detail is second to none...he has few peers...very talented.
One of the best resources you will have for this job is his website:
http://www.nmia.com/~dgnrg/page_41.htm
At some point I may too take this on but it is on my long and not short list of things to do.
As to interchangeability between the 525 and your car...a manual trans from a 525i will not bolt to a M-30/535i car...different bellhousing.
Good Luck,
George

Bob Gardner
05-02-2004, 07:06 PM
...for posting that site. i quickly read over a bit of it and it seems that it will help out a lot. i appreciate it.

Bob Gardner
05-02-2004, 07:08 PM
i forgot to ask in my last post what i could get for a good condition automaic tranny, just in case i didnt trade transmissions with someone. thanks again