PDA

View Full Version : Starting issue

1995 525i
03-15-2007, 11:41 AM
Hello All!
It's been a while but I'm back. Car is driving great but it has recently started having issues starting. After it has been sitting a few hours, it will start on the second try only. My mechanic said it could be many things.

The spark plugs are about 9 months old. It has an EAT chip, new radiator. The valve cover gasket was also replaced about 9 months ago. We did notice some oil on the tip of a few plugs. Not sure if that is part of the problem. Should I change the plugs and see if that helps or is this a common problem with the E34?

Thank you for your input.

Michael

Dave M
03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Hello All!
notice some oil on the tip of a few plugs. Not sure if that is part of the problem. Should I change the plugs and see if that helps or is this a common problem with the E34?

Michael,

Oil on the tip of a 'few' plugs is definately not helping things. Although the head cover gasket was changed 9 months ago, I would suggest changing it again. Its a good guess that the oil is breaching the gasket at the plug wells and fouling your plugs, making starting difficult.

Let us know if you need any help with a DIY

Dave

bigtisas
03-16-2007, 12:40 AM
Would that be the starter "cooking" issue? I recall I read threads about it. The e34 gets hotter after the engine shut off and cooks the starter. Other cars with electric fans do not have this problem.

1995 525i
03-16-2007, 08:56 AM
Michael,

Oil on the tip of a 'few' plugs is definately not helping things. Although the head cover gasket was changed 9 months ago, I would suggest changing it again. Its a good guess that the oil is breaching the gasket at the plug wells and fouling your plugs, making starting difficult.

Let us know if you need any help with a DIY

Dave

Thanks for the input Dave. The headgasket replacement was a DIY job. One of our board memmebrs who lives nearby helped me out. I'm not sure what to do at this point. Tired of DIY work and taking it to the shop.

Michael