PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Supercharger idea

Milkboot
03-15-2007, 01:33 AM
Well I am finally getting around to doing the fun stuff on my E34 and i have a friend that suggested i take one of his spare Eaton M90 superchargers from his T-birds. I am getting tons and tons and tons of measurements from him in the next few days to see if anything would be close enough to finish idea about this all.

Just wondering if anyone else has toyed with the idea of using one of these M90's or even the ones from Buick's.

winfred
03-15-2007, 08:13 AM
the e30 guys run them, i am not too wild about them but with enough plumbing you can make them work, check out the supercharging link on the e30tech.com forums

repenttokyo
03-15-2007, 09:25 AM
if it does work, then it could be a good diy solution, those sc's are a dime a dozen at scrapyards - but I have been cautioned that they might not blow hard enough to make significant power - that is just what I have heard, however.

RallyD
03-15-2007, 10:07 AM
if it doesn't blow hard it would definitely suck

had to

ROBMPULSE
03-15-2007, 10:39 AM
if it does work, then it could be a good diy solution, those sc's are a dime a dozen at scrapyards - but I have been cautioned that they might not blow hard enough to make significant power - that is just what I have heard, however.

JUST GET A SMALLER PULLEY!!!!!!

;)

Dash01
03-15-2007, 11:35 AM
What about the Benz superchargers, often sold on eBay for not much dough?

repenttokyo
03-15-2007, 12:20 PM
What about the Benz superchargers, often sold on eBay for not much dough?

a friend of mine's race team is sponsored by Renntech, and he says that there is a dumpster behind their garage filled to the brim with stock MB superchargers - definitely a glut in the market.

Milkboot
03-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I did see one forsale that was a clutched supercharger, I thought that was kinda of bad ass, but while at work, Snakeyes and i thoguht to ourselves, if the impellers are not moving when its off, how does air pass through?

We were thinking maybe it just slows it down enough to where its not putting any pressure more then normal in the intake.

Milkboot
03-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I talked to a benz guy at work and he said he didnt like them too much, but he also said it would be kind of sacreligious to put one of thier superchargers on a BMW :P

Milkboot
03-15-2007, 02:39 PM
Hahaha, that one made my day :D

Dash01
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
a friend of mine's race team is sponsored by Renntech, and he says that there is a dumpster behind their garage filled to the brim with stock MB superchargers - definitely a glut in the market.

Why the glut? Problems with the MB blower itself, or just too many wrecked Benz's sitting around?

One would think a Benz blower would be of pretty good quality and durability.

Does anybody know more about this?

Milkboot
03-15-2007, 11:47 PM
No Comment yet Jon? :P

GoldenOne
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah, I talked to a benz guy at work and he said he didnt like them too much, but he also said it would be kind of sacreligious to put one of thier superchargers on a BMW :P

technically its an eaton supercharger not mercedes ;)

Barney Paull-Edwards
03-16-2007, 03:19 AM
Saw a new 525 at the german Toll Road a few weeks ago with a real whine coming from front, came out of white semi. Not allowed to look under hood but sounded at full grunt like a blower not turbo and went like somwbody stole it.Supose BMW try all tricks but could have been tax dodge 2 litre with blower,like M-B 200 kowpressor.Went past an E30 M3 like it was towing a trailer!

repenttokyo
03-16-2007, 11:46 AM
Why the glut? Problems with the MB blower itself, or just too many wrecked Benz's sitting around?

One would think a Benz blower would be of pretty good quality and durability.

Does anybody know more about this?

i didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with them - Renntech is a high end speed shop, mostly porsche and MB, so they routinely replace the small MB stock superchargers with much larger and scarier units. But they don't resell them, they just junk them, which leads me to believe that the market value is probably pretty low, and that you could score one fairly cheap.

GoldenOne
03-16-2007, 12:10 PM
i didn't mean to imply that there was anything wrong with them - Renntech is a high end speed shop, mostly porsche and MB, so they routinely replace the small MB stock superchargers with much larger and scarier units. But they don't resell them, they just junk them, which leads me to believe that the market value is probably pretty low, and that you could score one fairly cheap.

if thats the case....you wanna stop by there and pick up a couple for me??? lol ;) ill gladly pay shipping for them

repenttokyo
03-16-2007, 01:28 PM
if thats the case....you wanna stop by there and pick up a couple for me??? lol ;) ill gladly pay shipping for them

hehe I would but the shop is in Florida and I live in Montreal. The race team is based in Canada, but they test a lot in the US at the warmer climate tracks. It's a formula BMW team, they were north american champions season before last, and did quite well last season as well.

Milkboot
03-16-2007, 06:12 PM
No kidding! i want one :( and to bad my cousin just moved from florida *whimper*

clevertd
03-16-2007, 08:59 PM
http://mydrive.roadfly.com/blog/soco

winfred
03-16-2007, 09:32 PM
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?cgiurl=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2 F&fkr=1&from=R8&satitle=m90+eaton&category0=&submitSearch=Search

GoldenOne
03-16-2007, 09:39 PM
hehe I would but the shop is in Florida and I live in Montreal. The race team is based in Canada, but they test a lot in the US at the warmer climate tracks. It's a formula BMW team, they were north american champions season before last, and did quite well last season as well.

whoa whoa whoa...where in florida...lol i just might be able to pick myself up a few...